F5 power amplifier

So I am new, This is my first Post, My knowledge level is painfully low compared to the rest here.... I am amazed as for how many pages I was able to read without having my wife thinkin I as upto no good here!!! Wow 909 pages! I will be learning from you guys as much as I can and ... would love to build and amplifier as my very first project.

wish me luck and I am happy to have such knowledable company.

See you soon guys.

Marvin

Hello,

I am hoping to build the Toshiba 2SJ201 / 2SK1530 (Non-balanced) version of the F5, using the 2SK170 / 2SJ47 input FET’s which are BL type (I have a few pairs I need to use). Would this circuit, with these values work? Or will I have to buy GR or V type JFET’s?

Hope you can help :eek:

(Circuit taken from earlier post)

Attachments

• Toshiba MOSFET F5.JPG
    Toshiba MOSFET F5.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 793
Thank you Zen for your advice, I’ll build it and see how it sounds.

I’ve seen Euvl's balanced version, but I believe he’s running at a different voltage. I’d love to be more ambitious like some of the other guys and build a Tosh balanced version, looks awesome, but I don’t have the gear to match MOSFET’s :( or a distortion analyser. This truly is a cave man attempt at building an F5, with my trusty MM in one hand and a club in the other, I am sure that how we all started . . :eek:

Quote:
From Papa this tread page 48/49
There will be a short piece on tweaking F5's, and then the next major
article is about buffers.

I have found this comment By Nelson Pass and I am looking at this tread but just got to page 160 any kindered spirit willing to tel me where to look preaty please

Tanks

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
it's pretty useless to mark place in thread as # of page , just because everyone can use different number of posts on page , or is it simply dependable of browser used .
it's convenient to left-click on No. of post and copy link of it . that's right upper angle of each post

considering Papa's buffers - dunno .......

There will be a short piece on tweaking F5's, and then the next major
article is about buffers.

Is this the quote you are referring to?

Gee you guys are task masters. Doesn't Nelson do enough. If you read all of Nelson's comments in this thread and actually apply the ideas you will find Nelson has given us quite a bit of information.
Sorry Nelson.

On the other hand, it would be nice to see an article about it.:devilr:

Too high Vac

I have almost everything I need for an F5 amp now. Boards + parts, heatsinks, casing, connectors, caps and a nice pair of filterchokes.

My problem is that the trafo has 2 x 25Vac (off-load) secondaries. I tried to figure out if a choke - input filter is a possibility, a that might be a solution. I wired the psu - parts up as a choke input filter and used light bulbs as a load. Drawing 2,8A I got 40Vdc (secondaries i series) and that is a bit low I guess. NP says 23-24V in the F5 article.

Could winding down my trafo and make a CLC filter be a solution? It is the one in the picture and it is potted with something in a plastic bucket, so winding it down seems a bit troublesome. Is it possible to heat the thing up and get the potting substance of?

Attachments

• Trafo%20fra%20Doxa.jpg
    Trafo%20fra%20Doxa.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 578
Last edited: