F5 power amplifier

F5 Bridge Rectifier - tinkering

I have some friends in my audio club who swear by the improvements from upgrading the diodes or bridge rectifiers in their amps. I wonder if this is worth trying in the F5 or maybe the circuit design is such that a better part won't have much effect on the sound?

I can't seem to find a post on this, regarding the F5, but my electronics background is such that I might not be using the right search term. Can anyone direct me to a post they're aware of or provide feedback on your experiments?

Thanks

I have some friends in my audio club who swear by the improvements from upgrading the diodes or bridge rectifiers in their amps. I wonder if this is worth trying in the F5 or maybe the circuit design is such that a better part won't have much effect on the sound?

I can't seem to find a post on this, regarding the F5, but my electronics background is such that I might not be using the right search term. Can anyone direct me to a post they're aware of or provide feedback on your experiments?
Thanks

It all depends on intangible things, like how things sound to you on your system now, and how things sound with "regular" parts in the amp...

but it's a safe bet to go with "soft recovery" rectifiers...
...my friend Rick who built up his F5 first using "ordinary" parts says that putting in "premium" parts improved the sound. I did hear the sound improve, but he also did other things that were more fundamental at the same time... the improvements were not subtle from the time he assembled it somewhat hodgepodge using random wire and layout to now where it is reasonably well done electrically, big improvement to the point where the amp is impressive to me...

I'd say buy extra boards (send me my commission check on this advice! :D ) and stuff one set to start with "regular" or "cheap" and see how it works. Then go for expensive premium parts either one at a time or all at once in the new boards and see 4 urself! :checked:

_-_-bear

I am using two types of capacitor now.You know F5 power supply is CRC.I was using Rifa 18000uf 105C low esr caps.And it sounded good.DC value at output was +-19,6 volts.I removed the rifa caps at the end(First C rifa is still there)and replaced it with Kendeil 25v 47000uf(I think it is about 15 year old yellow cap but has about 14A ripple current.It is better than 8A ripple Rifa)And by the way the output voltage increased to 21 volts.
I will remove first Rifa and replace it with Kendeil too.If i have much money I would buy Mundorf Computer Grade capacitors.
Now i believe that Capacitor is one of the most important thing in amplifier.Better caps sounds better.In class A designs ripple current of capacitors is important.Use most quality cap as you can.If i were you i will buy there some computer grade screw type capacitors.Because there is USA and can find good things for cheaper! :)