F5 power amplifier

Hello

If you com pair the two picture you can found many great information .

Greets

Attachments

• f5_ben.png
    f5_ben.png
    51.5 KB · Views: 718
  • smyslow_balanced-f5_%234.jpg
    smyslow_balanced-f5_%234.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 730
Hello Tinitus
You right , but the rest of the layout is the same .
I said I found many great information because I was searching some information how and were to connect the ground !
The resistors on the Smyslow board for me is a great help .
Now I know more now about the F5X ground due to the pictures , so I can go on and make my PC board for the high power F5X . I have the cvillier F5 board (based on the blue board ) I post the right pictures now !
You can see the rest of the board is the same .
Greets

Attachments

• gerberscreenshot_crop.gif
    gerberscreenshot_crop.gif
    72.1 KB · Views: 682
  • smyslow_balanced-f5_%234.jpg
    smyslow_balanced-f5_%234.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 671
The 100k resistors are certainely necessary in order to state the Jfets gates dc null voltage.
The input cable ground connection is an other thing...
...The central node excepted (crossed connexion) this is twice the stock F5!
Should M1/M5, J1/J3, M2/M6, J2/J4 be matched?
Setting the biases wouldn't be a little tricky? Do you know how you will proceed?

Hello
To set up the bias I will use the resistor trim pot parallel like the original F5 .
The same way how Patrick did it .
Also you right all those parts you named must be matched .
The power mosfet(s) have to be matched as close as possible since I'm planing to use 3pair .Otherwise probably I would have offset problem and not the type of sound I 'm looking for .
Also I will fallow Patrick calculation on the resistor values .
I believe it is possible to be done to get the X advantage .
Greets

I was speaking about matching the two sides of the X.
I am thinking about one way to set the bias:
Grounding the X node momentaneously gives the equivalent of 2 stock F5.It is then possible to set the biases separately following the usual process. (may be to a lower value for starting) then unground the node.
Just an idea.
How did Patrick proceed?

Hello for all,

I've started the construction of F5 amp and I received almost all parts.
The supplier has sent me to me irfp9240 from Vishay and 240 from International Rectifier (IR).
Should I ask to exchange IR to Vishay (like it is in my order ) ? Or IR FETs is also ok for this amp from (sound quality i mean - datasheet 1:1 )?
Other thinks going more or less ok -case and PCB still in production ;)PSU board is almost done here is picture :

DSC04450.jpg

thanks.

I could be totally wrong but I think there should be another reference to ground around the feed back loop like there is on the Aleph JX.
For some reason I don't feel comfortable with this circuit design.
Hopefully some one else here can look at it more critically than myself (I know nothing).
I will try and present another version that works for people to have a look at.

Patrick he built the first F5X I think more than a year a go . It is around at 120th page .
He use 16V rail power supp. Works fine .
I want to build a bit higher power .
I have some experience with the Aleph X , I built one .
One think is sure every step have to be made careful . Also not to be afraid .
I plan at first use lower V transformer to power it up jut to get some experience with the bias .I didn't built any regular F5 . So some experience would help to be more confident .
Greets

Yes I know Patrick built it, and it worked, but he didn't seem too impressed with it.
Which suggests to me that something is not quite right.
Peter Daniel has built the standard version and he absolutely loves it.
So if implemented correctly the F5 X should be an improvement over the standard version not worse.
Hopefully Patrick, Peter and others might like to revisit this design to see if it cannot be improved further, or at least discuss why they feel it did not perform as expected.

Last edited:
I just posted that schematic because the schematic originally posted there is no ground at all .
Please take a look at smyslow picture posted from his working amp and the PC board next . Even Patrick used that as a reference when he built his F5X .
I also interested any new advise , the truth is after my knowledge only two F5X was built .
Surly that will not stop me to give a try .
Greets

Yes you should go with this design.
I just want to make sure you get the best possible info and advice on this one.
One thing I dont like about it, is 4 trim pots to adjust bias and dc offset. This could be a nightmare trying to adjust.
If the Jfets are matched, I think you should be able to get away with two trim pots.
Anyway it would be nice to discuss this design a bit before you get into trouble with it.

Please read Smyslow comment on both amp .
He built at first the regular F5 and after couple month he completed his X verizon .
To him the X sound better than the regular F5, it is improvement .
Also Patrick use protection 4PC BJT and extra 12PC resistor each channel.
I would like to to build mine exactly after the Smyslow amp .
To be honest not always easy to take people comment on the sound of the amp as a fact , I read someone built his amp after P Daniel's F5 and he wrote , he is not happy at all it has week bass etc .
Many time the result depend on the components we use , transformer size (Wattage) wires etc .
I think you know all these .
Please read Smyslow comment on his X-ed F5 . Just go back some 5 page or so .
Greets

Hello thanh
You probably right about the 4 trim pots but I think it will give you more possibility fine for adjustment , fine tuning .
After there is a possibility to replace them if we get the same value at each trim pot .Probably a lot depend on the well matched JETs mosfet(s)?
If you think only two people made the X verizon , so not much information out there .
But that not mean we can not get help from some expert guy .

...Vishay bought the power semiconductor branch from IR in 2007.
(the two companies have been fighting over it in court ever since, reached an agreement with some alterations of the initial contract just a couple of months ago)
So: different label, but exact same deal.

IR sold portions of their older, lower profit margin, MOSFET bis to Vishay. Not their "power semiconductor branch". If you noticed, Vishay instantly raised the price on all of those products by a buck or two :mad:
But, your right "different label, but exact same deal":rolleyes: