F5 power amplifier

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
chrismercurio said:
One of the most peculiar and interesting things about the F5 to me is that it is void of capacitors in the signal path. Have you considered (perhaps for a different Fx amplifier) creating a similar amplifier that is SETransistor in nature (capacitorless)? Almost like a DC SET tube amp (without the OPT and the tubes of course)?

I am not particularly hung up about capacitors, and I didn't approach
the F5 with the intent on eliminating them - that just fell out of the
design.

That said, yes, I have several such designs - it's not that difficult.

:cool:

labjr said:

I'm looking at the schematic right now. I guess I must be missing something.

Okay! You are not the first to get this wrong. Anyway, here you go with some basic capacitor wisdom: 2 equal caps in series; halves the value!! (Capacitance value, that is) 2 caps in parralel, doubles the value! (Again, the same capacitance value!!) The drill is that 2 caps in series connection, doubles the voltage rating!! Wow, this is magic!! Not quite, because the caps (assuming the same value) retain only the printed value!! So basically, only half the expected value!! Questions? Just shoot,,,,,,,

;)

steenoe said:

Okay! You are not the first to get this wrong. Anyway, here you go with some basic capacitor wisdom: 2 equal caps in series; halves the value!! (Capacitance value, that is) 2 caps in parralel, doubles the value! (Again, the same capacitance value!!) The drill is that 2 caps in series connection, doubles the voltage rating!! Wow, this is magic!! Not quite, because the caps (assuming the same value) retain only the printed value!! So basically, only half the expected value!! Questions? Just shoot,,,,,,,

;)

Bang Zoom!