F5 power amplifier

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Heatsinks

LabJr. email me directly. I cant email you.
Your close by - I work in Andover. Live in ME

I have some surplus heatsinks that you can see if they work for you. You would need to develop metal working stills to build a case. (hacksaw, drill, taps) but they might be enough for an F5. Wont know till I get some boards...

Re: Heatsinks

mithomas said:
LabJr. email me directly. I cant email you.
Your close by - I work in Andover. Live in ME

I have some surplus heatsinks that you can see if they work for you. You would need to develop metal working stills to build a case. (hacksaw, drill, taps) but they might be enough for an F5. Wont know till I get some boards...

Thanks for the offer.

I'm curious about what your heatsinks actually look like although I probably will try to find some kind of enclosure with heatsinks already attached. I would have to be bothersome to a friend with a metal shop to make an enclosure.

Before you build the boards you can probably calculate the appoximate dissipation of the heatsinks by inputting the various parameters in the spreadsheet.

I was reading through the F5 PDF file and notice that Nelson recommmends a 6"x 8" heatsink with 2" fins for each output device.

On that spreadsheet it calculates to approx= 0.3935 deg C / Watt when plugging 17 as the number of fins. That's about 33% better than the .6 deg C/ Watt he recommends if the calculations the correct. I guess more is better? But are calculations correct?