F5 monoblock power supply for 50Hz mains

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for the help. I was a little surprised to see that the load was 1.5 amps when I expected 1.3 amps and curious how the value of 212 mOhm was calculated for the transformer. I assume that the combination of three capacitors is used to lower the overall ESR. Perhaps you can answer these queries as a final guesture of kindness. Many thanks - Nick

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thanks for the help. I was a little surprised to see that the load was 1.5 amps when I expected 1.3 amps and curious how the value of 212 mOhm was calculated for the transformer. I assume that the combination of three capacitors is used to lower the overall ESR. Perhaps you can answer these queries as a final guesture of kindness. Many thanks - Nick

invoke help of PSUD and you'll find how I calculate 0,2R

lets say - 240V primary , 18V secondary , primary Rdc ~ 2R , secondary Rdc ~0R2

taking constant load of 1A5 is worse case than 1A3 , so why not

yes - 3 caps have 1/3 of one cap ESR

anyway - all these are just academic exercises .... considering that numerous PSU's were made with simillar approach

if you have enough greenies and patience and place - use chokes (CLC) ;

if not - use resistors (CRC)

and yes - read this : http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_power_supplies.pdf

edit :

even better ...... go there : http://www.firstwatt.com/articles.html , and read them all ......

PSUD will not allow an inductor straight after the bridge
I was playing around with this. Its got a Nasty turn on surge, and requires an insane amount of capacitance to get the Q down without totally blowing the regulation, but it can be done. FYI, I do not really recommend this, but I thought you might find it educational.

:)

Doug

Attachments

• F5ChokeLL1694.JPG
    F5ChokeLL1694.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 352
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.