F5 increased capacitance

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Boys, may I ask a newbie question?

When in china I can get a 300V/A 220 v primary /2 x 18 volt output secondary transformer, however my mains input where I live is 240v, so to get 2 x 18 volts output on the transformer, what input voltage input should I select? (Bearing in mind my input is 240v not 220 v) should I select a lower secondary to get 18 v out or vica versa? (or wont it matter?)

I am interested to ask since I was looking at some mondorf mlytic caps from hi fi collective (2 x 47,000 uF per channel) at a nice price (around 12 UKP each) but there only rated at 25volts DC (+20% extra on the spec) my PSU PCB only has room for 2 caps per channel hence the fetish for the 47,000 Uf caps--or -are there better cap recommendations ???

see link: http://www.hificollective.co.uk/components/mcap_mlytic_si.html

Am i sailing to close to the wind here, or is the on load voltage low enough to be safe within the cap max tollrence

Thanks boys--blowed if i know!

regards

Johnny

Hi Again Audiosan,

Thanks for the reply to my inept questions, yes I read the circuit diagram again, now i understand!, think i got confused!! but as i am building monoblocks i do indeed require another set of PCBS.

But at least i can get a set of 4 (per channel) of 22,000 UF caps in with decent voltage ratings (35v) - it may be a good idea to reconsider and get 2 x DIY universal PCBS? for a monoblock configuration?
Any how thanks Audiosan-i now "get it"- keep em coming .

Best regards
Johnny

(PS- Paul Daniels was a Magician who worked for the BBC IN THE 1980S-- what was i thinking??)

:p

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.