F5 Headamp ?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
vali-2-pcb-1920.jpg

Starting with the PSU on a commercial amp. There is no way that is enough pre filtering before the 337 regulators that they have. Also, this is not a class A amp.

Although I am curious about subjective assessments of commmecial amps. How does it sound better? Is it dead silent quiet? I cannot tell my F5 is on at full volume if no music playing.

I think technical aspect should be objective, and listening impresion subjective.

Frequency bandwitdh F5 HA more superior than vali.
Proid, maybe you can post tech spec for vali ?

When i say technical, i mean better resolution, detail is easier to hear, bass is tighter, hit harder, imaging is better ... etc. I don't care much about tech spec, if i want the best measureable amp, i already have O2.

vali-2-pcb-1920.jpg

Starting with the PSU on a commercial amp. There is no way that is enough pre filtering before the 337 regulators that they have. Also, this is not a class A amp.

Although I am curious about subjective assessments of commmecial amps. How does it sound better? Is it dead silent quiet? I cannot tell my F5 is on at full volume if no music playing.

I also think that 470uf for pre filter is not enough but then you should really listen to it, bass hit damn tight and hard.
This is class A amp, the heatsink pad is connect to the chassis so it got really hot after running for a while, i think the output stage is bias at least 50ma.
It's not dead silent, the 6088 tube in Vali 1 has microphonic problem but as long as it sound good, that doesn't matter to me. If i want really death silent, black background then the O2 is easily better than F5 Ha.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
This is class A amp, the heatsink pad is connect to the chassis so it got really hot after running for a while, i think the output stage is bias at least 50ma. It's not dead silent, the 6088 tube in Vali 1 has microphonic problem but as long as it sound good, that doesn't matter to me. If i want really death silent, black background then the O2 is easily better than F5 Ha.

It's class AB, according to Shiit's website: Schiit Audio, Headphone amps and DACs made in USA.

Topology: Tube voltage gain with convolved bipolar current mode inverter and discrete bipolar class AB output stage

Dead silent background is dead silent background. I doubt the O2 is audibly quieter. O2 is a whole different animal - op amp based, not class A, not able to drive 1watt into low inpedance headphones.

I am sure the Schiit's are nice boxes, and for $150 that's a whole lot of convenience and value there. But think of the cost break down - most of it is going to the case, marketing, overhead, etc. It doesn't have the SK170/SJ74 as the front end - perhaps the finest ultra-low noise pre-amp transistors ever made (originally designed for MC phono preamps). I should buy one just to listen to it and compare - but looking at specs and topology, and PSU quality - how can it compete? First, one has to get over the godawful company name. Whoever decided to name a company Schiit? What are you listening to? Oh, I'm listening to Schiit. :)

A closer comparison might be Asgard 2 which is class A and able to deliver 1w into 50R phones.

http://schiit.com/products/asgard-2

We see better/bigger PSU here:
Asgard-2-board-1920.jpg

Last edited:
I can't think of anything more subjective in audio than ones preference of headphones and related gear. That's why they vary so much in sound and sound goals compared to speakers.

I think it's the bandwidth that throws people off initially on the f5. If you are not used to it it can be initially disappointing. But, if you listen carefully...and really listen for detail in the bass and separation and not just "slam" it's pretty apparent how this amp is good. It takes some getting used to. I've put in the time and Iam becoming more impressed.

Whether you like its presentation of the music or not is up to you. Patrick certainly doesn't owe us anything...in fact, it's probably the other way around.

It takes some getting used to.

Perhaps that where some people here and I differ.

Not referring specifically to the F5 or Hikari, but if a certain power amp, preamp, speaker, etc. doesn't sound good to me initially, then I don't believe in trying to "convince" myself to like its sound.
I understand there is such a thing as "break-in", but I find it more applicable to woofers than to electronics.

Perhaps that where some people here and I differ.

Not referring specifically to the F5 or Hikari, but if a certain power amp, preamp, speaker, etc. doesn't sound good to me initially, then I don't believe in trying to "convince" myself to like its sound.
I understand there is such a thing as "break-in", but I find it more applicable to woofers than to electronics.

I guess we all agree that audio perception is a very personal thing. No right or wrong.

I totally agree with Hikari regarding headphone, which I just got hooked onto. The views on the sound signature a specific headphone can be night and day, depending on whom you talk to!!

I just want to comment that a certain set of power amp, preamp, speaker, etc. doesn't sound good to me initially can sound pretty damn good in a different room. I learnt it personally.

I always have some doubts about "breakin". However, quite some time ago, I was told by an an electronic engineer (who is also an avid DIYer and builds his own amps, preamps and speakers) that properties of caps, particularly electrolytic caps can change with time. Which therefore could change the sound. How fast or slow the change happens depends on a lot of things (material of construction, way it was made etc.). He said that there are some scientific data on this topic. However, I have to confess that I did did not dig out the data.

Sorry, I am off topic.

It's class AB, according to Shiit's website: Schiit Audio, Headphone amps and DACs made in USA.

Dead silent background is dead silent background. I doubt the O2 is audibly quieter. O2 is a whole different animal - op amp based, not class A, not able to drive 1watt into low inpedance headphones.

I am sure the Schiit's are nice boxes, and for $150 that's a whole lot of convenience and value there. But think of the cost break down - most of it is going to the case, marketing, overhead, etc. It doesn't have the SK170/SJ74 as the front end - perhaps the finest ultra-low noise pre-amp transistors ever made (originally designed for MC phono preamps). I should buy one just to listen to it and compare - but looking at specs and topology, and PSU quality - how can it compete? First, one has to get over the godawful company name. Whoever decided to name a company Schiit? What are you listening to? Oh, I'm listening to Schiit. :)

A closer comparison might be Asgard 2 which is class A and able to deliver 1w into 50R phones.

Schiit Audio, Headphone amps and DACs made in USA.

We see better/bigger PSU here:
Asgard-2-board-1920.jpg

Run out of class A then it will be class AB, as the amp run very hot, i'm quite sure the output stage run in class A enough for almost any low impedance hp except ortho.
I have heard both and no doubt O2 is more silent than ha5, you shouldn't guess but hear it yourself. Here is measurement of 23 amps, none is comparable to O2 in noise department. http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AllAmpGraphs.pdf.
Note that the Gsx Mk2 also use your SK170/SJ74 at front end and it's a fully differential design which is very good at reject commond mode noise also have noise figure worse than O2. Implement matter more than extreme part selection.
You shouldn't just look at an amp and judge it performance, i used to be that and i also doesn't like schiit name, schiit product until i try it.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The manufacturer states the design is class AB and just because it runs hot doesn't mean its class A. Class AB can sound perfectly fine just depends on design. For speakers I prefer my class AB amps as it has more punch and dynamic reserve. That may be why you like the Vali. We are way off topic though let's get back to talking about the F5HA.