F5 Front end JFETs substitute

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi All,

I remember seeing a post by Mr. Pass that the front end JFETs can be replaced by Fairchild J174, J175, P1086 for P channel and Fairchild J111 for N channel. Has anyone tried any of the combinations above, and how's the result?

And if I were to have a go at it (coz I ordered a set of K170 and J74 from china, in case those turned out to be fakes I would have to consider replacements) would I need to make any changes to the circuit to accommodate J174 and J111?

Best regards
Liu

Make no mistake, there is NO chance they are real...why people keep buying this crap is beyond me.

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
ah.....never thought of that.....

Well, since this is my experimental build, I might just go ahead and put in the set from china. Hopefully I would be able to bias up the amp and hear some music out of it and not blow anything up. Buying originals from one of the 2 gentlemen would probably be the best option when I finished the practice and feel confident enough to start the actual build with diyaudio F5T beta boards which I already have lying there waiting....

Again, you are wasting your time with the Chinese J-fets. Throw them away and dont torture your PCB. They will not be "maybe good" they will be fake. Once installed, amp will not work properly and you will have a million questions wondering why. Just get proper parts from Ha or Spencer. There are no other choices, until Linear really lets them go to market.....WoW! looks like they just hit DIY store!

Russellc

Last edited:
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Thanks for your responses AndrewT and Nelson. I'll get simming and explore those recommendations.

It's beyond my understanding at the moment, but I do wonder if I can cascode the jfets to reduce voltage across (and thus dissipation) and take advantage of the higher transconductance at a higher Idss somehow... If only I actually knew what I was doing! :)

Good news on the Linear SJ74's becoming available - but wheres the fun in just dropping a part in when I can struggle away learning how to utilize a different part? :)

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Matched pairs are inevitable but we aren't the fastest moving guys around.

Here's what Papa Pass said:

The B through D and most of the A would not be a problem
for the ACA, and a slight adjustment would allow down to the
2.5 mA figure without problems.

Most of my projects would want a B or C grade as most desirable,
but it’s not a big deal.

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
not likely

they're too wimpy , in xconductance department

you would need (typically) 3 of them in parallel instead of one Toshiba

even then you need to adjust source resistance to have sum current of 8mA , which would heavily influence gain of stage

wait for Store , supposedly they're soon to have them again

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.