F5 Amps - Building a Quartet of Amps in search of the Ultimate F5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Grins:
I trying not to laugh, but sometimes it's too easy - I took a look at the "experts" Balanced F5 thread. It looks like they're going to use a Conrad MF35-151.5 based solution. The same heatsinks I've been using all along - funny how that worked out for me! [/B]

If you had of been reading the thread you started, you would have known about this quite a while ago.

Finished testing of the MF35-151 heatsinks.
Air temperature was 22.1 degrees.
The small rectangles represent the position of mosfets across the heatsink.
Applied Voltages and Current were +/- 26.1V and 2.6A (135W).

Obviously between the mosfets the temperature is quite hot but further away the temperature drops off a fair bit. If there was a way to spread the heat across the heatsink better than we might be in busines.

Last edited:
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
well, it has been tried
its been suggested to mount the trasistor directly on a plate bigger than the transistor itself
and the isolating pad is mounted between plate and heatsink
thus the isolating pad is much bigger

the claim is that the bigger isolating pad means better heat transfer

I very much doubt this, and it may even have opposite effect, for various reasons

Papa Nelson have played with direct mounting on the 'plated' heatsink, without any isolating pad, and its supposed to work

but it is at a risk(huge)
maybe better no go there

I have suggested elsewhere if we could use thin Japan paper
but with the same risk
maybe it could be made safer with a thin layer of silicone, maybe

in other words, 'less is more' ;)

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
would be to use a stack of mosfets

the conclusion was that there is not a problem.

yeah, as many as the heatsink allows :D but how to drive them, and...:faint:

absolutely, heat transfer is fine as is, but wouldnt hurt if it was better, read faster ;)

well, I did think about one transistor...one heatsink, and no isolating pad :rolleyes: but I dont think I dare take that risk :confused:
reason....it could blow too easy :bomb:

yeah, as many as the heatsink allows :D but how to drive them, and...:faint:

absolutely, heat transfer is fine as is, but wouldnt hurt if it was better, read faster ;)

well, I did think about one transistor...one heatsink, and no isolating pad :rolleyes: but I dont think I dare take that risk :confused:
reason....it could blow too easy :bomb:

I wouldn't do that, as if the mosfet are not thermally coupled you can end up with unstable DC bias.

D.

The issue your missing is that I'm not questioning what you're saying.

I'm questioning points made by other people (in another thread). For example: I asked NP about Cascoding because other folks (not you) had said they saw no difference on the Balanced F5.

I see your answers, but I guess I'm trying to vet the other folks points. I understand what you're saying.

I hadn't answered your queries because I thought this would become apparent over a few posts, but I guess I was wrong.

QUOTE=Melon Head;2476590]Do I write in invisible ink or something.
I think it is funny every time some one answers your questions you seem to ignore them.[/QUOTE]

We all have the ability to ignore posts by someone if we get sic of their "torocaca" attitude about who derived, developed and built what first. Most of that is not important to most of us. Some people are just never wrong, don't have bad attitudes, and are not anti-social. but, they gotta be on top of som'in. :rolleyes:
How long have you been here NYCOne? I could be wrong based on you handle but, I don't really want to tell you this but, most of the people in the area around NY think your neigbors are the crudest ruduest people on earth next to NJ. Yea, the Europeans and others are dying to come there on vacation but your not the reason!
Get a clue dude!

You lost me. I don't know what your slang reference means. If you're trying to insult NYC, go ahead, I don't like the city either.

I like DIYAudio. It has some very interesting stuff.

With the exception of my first post, I only respond to jabs.

Nevertheless, perhaps you're right. I'll turn over a new leaf, and pledge to stick to my builds, and ignore the outrageous slings and arrows of the "experts".

On to real stuff:
I'm finishing my OB speakers for the next few days. No real updates on the amps until the speakers are done. After the speakers are up, I'll etch the dedicated Balanced - Cascoded boards and stuff them.

Finally, I'll buy some new toroids and off to the races...

We all have the ability to ignore posts by someone if we get sic of their "torocaca" attitude about who derived, developed and built what first. Most of that is not important to most of us. Some people are just never wrong, don't have bad attitudes, and are not anti-social. but, they gotta be on top of som'in. :rolleyes:
How long have you been here NYCOne? I could be wrong based on you handle but, I don't really want to tell you this but, most of the people in the area around NY think your neigbors are the crudest ruduest people on earth next to NJ. Yea, the Europeans and others are dying to come there on vacation but your not the reason!
Get a clue dude!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.