F4 power amplifier

Dougie085 said:
Well was mostly just a joke. But something of the sorts. Solidstate is going to take place of everything eventually. Movies, Music even video games will move to solid state media. I'll only get digital media if its in HQ though which is very high quality MP3 rips (not your normal crap you get off itunes) or a lossless codec.

But my comment above was for fun and games ;)

Every mp3 is compressed.

Dougie085 said:
I never said they weren't. I said lossless formats like FLAC.

I want to stick to this kind of lossless source...I prefer it over CD's music servers or what ever stuff is out there...

Attachments

• sme 20.jpg
    sme 20.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 973
Heat sinks and transformer for F4

I was wanting to use these heat sinks for my F4 amps. I know they are a little small and I was wandering if it would be better to lower Bias or only use 4 Mos fets instead of 6? I also have a choice of transformers 200VA at 20 volts or 300VA at 18v. If I go with these heat sinks and the 200VA transformer I can make it into I fairly compact case

Attachments

• f4.jpg
    f4.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 1,035
Re: Heat sinks and transformer for F4

wirewiggler said:
I was wanting to use these heat sinks for my F4 amps. I know they are a little small and I was wandering if it would be better to lower Bias or only use 4 Mos fets instead of 6? I also have a choice of transformers 200VA at 20 volts or 300VA at 18v. If I go with these heat sinks and the 200VA transformer I can make it into I fairly compact case

Hi

This is a matter of choice. 18V seccondaries dissipates less then the 20V (11%). What could be more important is that the maximum voltage of one the jfets is 25V. Chosing the supply voltage higher than 25V, in my view, is better not done.

18V secondaries will give 24 - 25V supply.
20V will give 28 - 29V.

If you go for 4 pets, you can have a higher bias, sure. Stick to 6 fets and you have a higher thermal reserve. I'm not sure what I would prefer.
Higher bias defenately will sound better.

Re: Heat sinks and transformer for F4

wirewiggler said:

heat sink WAY to small.

Variac said:
Congrats Jason, :D
The tough battle make victory that much sweeter - or some such trite saying. But one does learn from those horrible moments when things don't work...

Don't we all learn ? Well i learn every day :p

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Ok, here's a data point: back when I was planning my F4 I told Nelson that I was thinking of making balanced F4 channels with just two devices per channel. (ie a total of four for balanced amp channel) He told me to make the amps with 6 per channel (ie 12 per balanced amp channel as "the specs were better"

So I did! and I'm glad I did!

and now we are back to the same question as I STILL wouldn't mind a two device per channel/4 per balanced amp configuration as is being discussed here for my mids/highs if there wasn't a performance hit. It occurs to me that maybe another MOSFET might work better with fewer in parallel. Like maybe 140's or 250's -both of which I have (but I would have to buy the other opposite channel versions)
hmmm maybe some well-known amp guru in this area will pop in here....

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Variac said:
Ok, here's a data point: back when I was planning my F4 I told Nelson that I was thinking of making balanced F4 channels with just two devices per channel. (ie a total of four for balanced amp channel) He told me to make the amps with 6 per channel (ie 12 per balanced amp channel as "the specs were better"

So I did! and I'm glad I did!

and now we are back to the same question as I STILL wouldn't mind a two device per channel/4 per balanced amp configuration as is being discussed here for my mids/highs if there wasn't a performance hit. It occurs to me that maybe another MOSFET might work better with fewer in parallel. Like maybe 140's or 250's -both of which I have (but I would have to buy the other opposite channel versions)
hmmm maybe some well-known amp guru in this area will pop in here....

DF is certainly better with more devices in output ;
but - that 's a goal if you use it in widerange config ; if you use it just for your dreky Fostex :devilr: you are good with just one pair of mosfets per channel ( two for balanced) ; having more DF is just irrelevant

it''s always matter of compromise .......... but main factor is heatsink ; if you have it ....... it's pretty irrelevant how many outputs you'll use , from costs reasons ........ because you already spent bigger part of overall cost .

instead of 240/9240 pairs ......... ?

150/9150 .......

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Wait!
I think I've got it !

250/9250

What's a really appropriate use for 250's?

I know the standard answer: It will work.

But is there an instance that they are preferable? Like maybe
if you are only using a few of them? heheheh
Looks like they are worse in specs but take more abuse- like you'd expect...

Ya see, after Burning amp, there were a bunch of them sitting there than no one wanted..

Heres the 250 data sheet:
http://www.irf.com/product-info/datasheets/data/jantx2n6766.pdf

Heres the 240 data sheet:
http://www.irf.com/product-info/datasheets/data/irf240.pdf

Variac said:
Wait!
I think I've got it !

250/9250

Ya see, after Burning amp, there were a bunch of them sitting there than no one wanted..

Heres the 250 data sheet:
http://www.irf.com/product-info/datasheets/data/jantx2n6766.pdf

Heres the 240 data sheet:
http://www.irf.com/product-info/datasheets/data/irf240.pdf

3500pF Ciss???? Bass amp? Cute little bugggggers.......

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Variac said:
Wait!
I think I've got it !

250/9250

looking at Ciss and other C data - I think that they are more than good if you use just one pair/channel

crank bias ............... through the roof,babe !!!!!!!!!! ;)

yeah.......... so poor mod was forced to clean rented space .......

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

EDIT:

I'll ban some mods for OT writings ......

this isn't F4 thread .........

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: