F4 power amplifier

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
carpenter said:
Perhaps this question's been asked before: can the Fairchild 9240 fet be substituted for the IRFP9240. Fairchild's fets are substantially less money!

I have plenty of IRFP240 fets for the other half of the output (no need to purchase more); I just wondered if the Fairchild fet would mate to the IRF fet.

John:)

just put 'em on test bench and match 'em ;

they don't know other's side name
:clown:

Formerly "jh6you". R.I.P.
Joined 2006
Re: C1 and C2

niner said:
Got a question on C1 and C2: what's the max. voltage across them? I have some good capacitors, but they are lower voltage spec parts.

We would need 5Vdc for the bias of the output mosfets.
On top of it, we would need to add 2Vrms input signal.
So, the maximum voltage across C1 or C2 would be about 11V
when the amp is operating as designed.

But, my preference is always the voltage rating of as big as the
rail voltage--just in case . . .

:darkside:

I have scads of IRF9630 and 630 transistors. They have about half the wattage capacity of the 240 series, but do handle 200 volts.

They have lower transconductance, but since this is a unity gain amp, the lower transconductance probably wouldn't matter too much...

What do you guys think? Is this transistor capable of operating as the power component of the F4?

John:)

jacco vermeulen said:
P1 set to Maximum , P2 in the centre position (~ R5 value)

The reference voltage for a TL431 is 2.5 Volts.
With P1 set at 5K there's roughly 6 Volts across the gates of the OP T's, at the zero setting 8 Volts.

Cool, i just don't want to blow this beast up, i just spend a good deal of money and time :)

Should a variac be used to power it up ?

You said P2 set to center position, ( ~R5 value ) does that mane set it to the value of R5 ?

Should i turn it on let it sit for a bit to warm up then set P2 to get 2.5V on TL431 ?

Sorry for the questions, with the alephs you just drop in a resistor an go :)

Jase