F4 power amplifier

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
jacco vermeulen said:
ok, let's ask Choke what he has been eating today.

what else than this: (attached pic)

btw- A and C debate was just fun.......toob is toob,and zenner is just a zener ,no matter how complicated is ..........plain ole simple or zener-like chip........

Attachments

• crazypumpkin.jpg
    crazypumpkin.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 3,264
Not yet, but I will probably order few to make sure, that there are no mistakes (schematic and layout is very easy so there shouldn't be any surprises). I have 200mm high heat-sinks and they will feat just fine ;)

If somebody want to have less problems with matching FETs - IRFP240/IRFP9140 should work better in output stage (I was using such pairs in Dracula amplifier). I added RA,RB and CA, CB components on this PCB but they can be skiped (just place jumper instead of RA and RB).

3D view of this board:

Attachments

• 3d_f4.gif
    3d_f4.gif
    42.4 KB · Views: 3,668
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
mpmarino said:

Right.....:)

Hey, would it be a big deal if the ZENERS were 6.2v as a sub for the 6.8v in the circuit?

Oh, are Jfets wicked static sensitive?

you mean crippled 2N4736.......:devilr:

they're there just for protection- just put what you have in drawer or don't put anything if you are confident that you wouldn't have short circ between headphones during connecting cables to amp

Formerly "jh6you". R.I.P.
Joined 2006
mpmarino said:
The ZENERS look to be there to protect the OP FETs, right? Is it not necessary to protect the Jfets? Aren't those little buggers fragile?

fragile : (fra-geel-ae) 1. made in italy

When we adjust bias voltage, e.g. TL431, we could make a
mistake by accident. If the bias voltage is too high,
the power mosfets would suffer from excessive current.
If so, when we have no spare parts, hmm . . .

Meanwhile, the input jfets are formed with self bias. As long as
the rail voltages are under control, the jfets are safe. In my
opinion, the probability for us to use wrong rail voltages are
ignorably low.

:darkside: