F4 power amplifier

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Zen Mod,:)

you suggested:
"omit output caps on , omit everything in front of two electrolyt caps on F4 input ( tossing out jfet buffer and everything related) , bypassing two elcos with 10-68nF polycarbonats ........ then tell me what's your impression"

I am going in balanced, but going out unbalanced to F4. Should I also omit the caps of the output shortened and then shorten the unused output?:confused:
I hesitate a little bit because the voltage on the outputs of pumpkin is coming down very slowly to zero volt. I lasts about ten to fifteen minutes. Is this behaviour o.k.?
Should I keep the output cap of the unused and shortened output?
I dont´t want to destroy pumpkin!!!!!!!!:eek:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi Zen Mod,:)

you suggested:
"omit output caps on , omit everything in front of two electrolyt caps on F4 input ( tossing out jfet buffer and everything related) , bypassing two elcos with 10-68nF polycarbonats ........ then tell me what's your impression"

I am going in balanced, but going out unbalanced to F4. Should I also omit the caps of the output shortened and then shorten the unused output?:confused:
I hesitate a little bit because the voltage on the outputs of pumpkin is coming down very slowly to zero volt. I lasts about ten to fifteen minutes. Is this behaviour o.k.?
Should I keep the output cap of the unused and shortened output?
I dont´t want to destroy pumpkin!!!!!!!!:eek:

naah ..... no need for sketch

use F4 schematic from post #2994

connect :Pumpkin: as usual ( pos out to F4 , neg to gnd ) then bridge output cap on :Pumpkin: positive out with piece of wire .

nothing wrong will happen - ya see that 10K from output to gnd in Pumpie itself ?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Zen Mod,

I modified, genergMod is happy!

What a sound, so natural. The the "k3 sound of F5" is very impressive, but you always want more and more details. F4 doesn´t reveal so much, but keeps more coherence and the details come as a surprise!
This keeps me calm and emotionally more satisfied.......

Pumpkin and of cause the wonderful DIY-amplifiers of Mr. Pass deserves the best attenuators in front of them you can get. I tried many possibilities, tvc (slagle) and a stepped attenuator (glasshouse) were the best in my chain.

Thank you again for helping so fast and competent!

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
naah ...... more like Joker ZM

:devily:

Attachments

• shinning.jpg
    shinning.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 876
Help with F4- no sound

Hi all,

Several months ago, I built a pair of F4 monoblocks using Peter Dianiel's boards. Worked good until yesterday, when I lost sound from left channel (right channel continued to work well). Substitution of different amp (nothing else changed) restored sound.

Voltage across all six 0.47R resistors (R16-R21) is 200mV at start-up. DC offset at binding posts is 30mV at start-up. Input RCA has correct continuity with signal and ground on PB. I cannot see any loose wires or smell burning. I do not know what else to check.

Any help tracking down the problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Gary

F4 as a headphone amplifier

Hello

I have started building my second pair of F4 on Villers PCB. This time I intend to try out how it will work as a headphone amplifier for my AKG K701.
I do need some adwises form someone with a better electronic understanding than myself about (still running in classe A):

Power voltage (lower than +/- 23 V if possible) and bias per device.

Preamp will be B1

Specifications AKG K 701

Type: Circumaural, open back headphones

Efficiency: 105 dB SPL /V

Maximum input power: 200 mW

Impedance: 62 Ohms

I have a lot of 220uF/16 V cond. Can I use them as C1/C2.
What about C3/C4?

Sincerely

Eivind Stillingen

You can run the amp at lower bias when your load is 62 ohm - but sounds like you already know that.

You can use the 16V caps on C1 and C2, but it might be a good idea to lower the voltage too. C3 and C4 will see a higher voltage, so you need to be careful with those. If you don't plan on using any gain, then you can lower the voltage quite a bit and still have plenty of swing without clipping.

MPP from Joachim Gerhard

Hello

I have started building my second pair of F4 on Villers PCB. This time I intend to try out how it will work as a headphone amplifier for my AKG K701.
I do need some adwises form someone with a better electronic understanding than myself about (still running in classe A):

Power voltage (lower than +/- 23 V if possible) and bias per device.

Preamp will be B1

Specifications AKG K 701

Type: Circumaural, open back headphones

Efficiency: 105 dB SPL /V

Maximum input power: 200 mW

Impedance: 62 Ohms

I have a lot of 220uF/16 V cond. Can I use them as C1/C2.
What about C3/C4?

Sincerely

Eivind Stillingen

Hi Eivind,

Go to the thread of Joachim and go to the 4 last pages. You'll find all you need to make a good Phone amp for your AKG.

Just my 2 cents,

Audiofanatic ;)

F4 as a headphone amplifier.

Audiofanatic

"Joachims thread". Can you please be more precise where to find this thread?

Thank you!

So to my question about a suitable power voltage and a corresponding bias for F4 driving my AKG K701 62 ohm imp.

How much can I reduce both and still be in classe A. The reason I ask has influence on how big heatsinks I must use (I already have two that I hope will fit)

Sincerely

Eivind Stillingen

F4 as headphone amplifier

generg

You wrote:

".... do you know this version of F4?

Could be enough for your headphone".

Do you mean that this can do the job alone, without B1 as "pre"?
How do I fix a volumecontrol?

The PCB I use is from cviller. Here is the schema he use:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/blogs/cviller/198-my-f4-guide.html

As you can see, it is a little bit different from the version you show me. If I go for that version, as far as I can see, I have to keep Q3 and Q6 on cvillers PCB board and skip out the rest of IRF240/IRFP 9240? Will it be nessecary take away all 0,47/100 ohm resistors or can they stay (that will be the easiest way)??

D3/D4 out?

What about P2: 500 ohm versus 5 Kohm
R5: 1Kohm versus 3,32 Kohm
R22: 750 ohm versus 1 Kohm

Sincerely

Eivind Stillingen