F4 power amplifier

pinkmouse said:
It stops people multiple posting of the same post by accident or deliberately. Oh, and it's not new, it's been around since diyAudio started. ;)

However, it's quite annoying to wait 20 seconds when doing another search. If there's a logical explanation, I'd like to hear it too.

Sorry! The administrator has specified that you can only do one search every 20 seconds. [/B]

Joined 2004
Paid Member
F4 update

Here's some pictures of my current F4 adventure - still not alive yet, but getting closer:

Side view (R-Theta heatsink)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

PSU board, rectifiers, F4 boards, transformer
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Another top view

Back view

I need to get some binding posts from ApexJr and wire, but it's getting close(r)

The front and back panels are 1/4" aluminum and cost me $60 for 4 pieces 10" x 12". I thought about getting 8" width at first to get more of a 'tower' look, but was afraid the toroid wouldn't fit inside still, but then I would have hung it out the back :D

I got the heatsinks from Dennis Hui (thanks Dennis)

Here are the full size pictures if anyone want's a better look:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stephentom/452996297/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stephentom/452996229/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stephentom/452996223/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stephentom/452996177/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stephentom/452996121/

Stephen

djucki said:
Mr Pass,

I'm wondering why nobody ask about influence of C1 and C2 on sound? Should they be a Black Gate or similar quality?

I'm not Nelson, but...

Of course it will have influence since they are in the signal path. It calls my attention also that they are quite big in value.

The amp as is has quite a low corner freq roll off so smaller caps will also work there.

Personaly I would try Pana FC caps for that position

If you're really serious about this, the only realistic way to stop repeat postings is to do a comparison of the two posts. The delay thing is goofy because it clearly doesn't work. Obviously, a byte-by-byte comparison is going to burn cycles so it will slow things down (undesirable, I know). However, the code is trivial; a half-dozen lines should do the trick.
I agree that the delay on the Search function is a bummer.
Anything that deliberately wastes my time ticks me off. There's enough sand in the gears of my life already.

Grey

P.S.: I am not picking on John. I've seen many posts by many members that are clearly duplicates. It just happens that I went through the Blowtorch thread a little while back and happened to note a number of times that his posts showed up twice, so his name was topmost in my mind.

GRollins said:
Anything that deliberately wastes my time ticks me off. There's enough sand in the gears of my life already.

I know it's a pain, but this old server we're on is just about on it's last legs. We are transitioning to a new one soon, then we can start looking at giving us all a better user experience. We suffer too! :)

P.S.: I am not picking on John.

I know, SY is a good friend of John's, so that may have been a little too much of an "in joke" for general comprehension.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks for the kind words Tony and Al. Somehow though, I don't think Steen is sweating over this - he's already listening to his (first) F4. I'm just hoping to finish this before he finishes his NEXT amp :D

Tony - I actually have the top row of fets at the center line - I thought about mounting them higher though. I'll move them up if they aren't warming up evenly, thanks for the advice.

Looking at the pictures, I think I actually have the boards in backwards (or I drilled the back and fronts incorrectly ... or maybe I just assembled it incorrectly) :xeye:

I still have to disassemble it to finish the back panel, wiring and will add a 1/2" thick frosted plexiglass face (and maybe top and bottom panels or may just leave it open) and add feet.

twitchie said:

Tony - I actually have the top row of fets at the center line - I thought about mounting them higher though. I'll move them up if they aren't warming up evenly, thanks for the advice.

Actually that was Pinky's comment. I personally don't see an issue on that position.

Regarding sides for the boards I personally like to have the input near the back plate but preferences vary quite a lot, you know.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
:D Oh, sorry about that Al, and you were right, the outputs/inputs are supposed to be closer to the back of the amp.

As it turns out, I only mounted the boards with 2 screws to take pictures and they are actually upside-down (or backwards).

I fixed it (even though they have to come out to for soldering and proper mounting with insulators and thermal grease) and took a couple of new pictures:

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks Jason. The heatsinks are from the R-Theta groupbuy from many years ago - they are 11x11. These heatsinks are good for Veteran's layout, but it's not always a simple thing to find big heatsinks. If I were to build another one, I would use CVILLER's layout and get the ebay heatsinks or sinks from Conrad.

Stephen