F4 power amplifier

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Magura said:

That just doesn't make sense, cause if it was so, Lykke would not have had much gain in the past with his BOSOZ and Leach :whazzat:

Magura / Who thinks that Lykke don't really have 23dB gain in his pre.

well ......... you're much nearer to Lykkkkkk than me ....... :clown:

"wrooom .......... eeeeeekkkkkkk......... gimme a beer!"

"lookie, lookie..........."

Formerly "jh6you". R.I.P.
Joined 2006
lykkedk said:
What do you consider . . . source ?

On the assumption that F4 will provide the optimised maximum output swing of +/-20V, if your pre has 23dB voltage gain, your source output of 1Vrms would be enough. In the same manner, your pre 22dB/your source 1.2Vrms, pre 20dB/source 1.4Vrms, pre 19dB/source 1.6Vrms, pre 18dB/source 1.8Vrms, pre 17dB/source 2Vrms and pre 16dB/source 2.2rms.

Silmiks

Hullo Andrzej,
I was wondering how you were getting on with your amp and caps - hope it's all okay.
I have tried the Silmics, and the Cerafines, plus Nichicons (FG & KZ), Pana (All types), Rifa, Phillips, Siemens, etc and have gone back to the BlackGate F series caps.
The N/NX series are better, but not so easy to find now, and quite expensive.

To me, the BG (F) caps are the best sounding caps at a reasonable cost, and are the only ones that don't really need/require R-C bipass assistance (to my taste, anyway!)

There are quite a few other good caps that I haven't tried yet.

The BG's are even more beneficial in the F3 (incl P/Supply) and produces extremely good results, even low base.

Silmiks

Hi JH,

I am still with Nichicon Muse bi-polars as C1/C2, and in my opinion this is an excellent solution for perfect ears: very clear bright trebles. I am looking for capacitors which could keep trebles at a bit lower lever to fit my right ear possibilities, maybe silmics would be okay for me. Maybe first I will try to play with basic Panasonic FC caps.
Best Regards,
a.