F3 PS Options using PD boards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nelson Pass said:
Papa has a large quantity of 25V 15,000 uF caps.

:cool:

Thats a good reason:) Having many 25V caps, and needing 50V's, option 1 is good. Flexibility is a good thing, and using the same supply for different amps, has a lot going for it.

By looking at option 1 and 2 (without considering anything else) they are equally good, ripplewise. The bad news about option 1 is that you need 4 caps, not 2 as in option 2. The caps for option 2 will ofcourse need to be higher voltage rated. The good news about option 1 is that you can use lower voltage rated caps. 2 x 25V caps connected in series will equal a 50V, but at half the capacitance (assuming they are the same e.g. 15.000uF, which results in 7500uF)
This should clear up the issue;) Just pick the most suitable option, after checking your inventory of caps.

:)

Formerly "jh6you". R.I.P.
Joined 2006
Variac said:

So is the final word that it is indeed better to use option one?
I'll let you think about it another night Babo ;)

It has been long night . . .
Still I can't remember whether I have said option one is better.

Papa's PSU boards provided for F-amps are transfomers in three ways. Here I attach one method that fits for F3. Looking at this F3 PSU and amp circuit, I feel that Papa must be crazy, or at least crazy enough.

With this F3 PSU, I have estimated the peak-to-peak ripple voltage on the rail of 46Vdc. It is about 0.6Vp2p with 1.5A load current per channel. It is calculated to ripple factor of about 0.004, i.e. 0.4%. On top of this, the amp cuircuit has even a capacitor multiplier at its power supply entrence :bigeyes:

Papa irons and irons the rail just flat . . .

Mark, I would use any of option one or two at my convinience.

Cheers,

>>:)<<

Attachments

• crc papa's f3.jpg
    crc papa's f3.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 634
Babo,
I'm currently searching for all kind of information before building my own F3 !
Could you update me on the final option we have built and the way it goes ? Some pictures would be very appreciated.

Last question, is option 1 per channel/amp board ?

Thanks, Kind regards, Raoul

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.