F3 Builders Thread

Loudspeakers for the F3

Assuming you can't find a pair of ancient 15" HPD Tannoys like Papa's got, and the Lowther's and Fostex's are too "tizzy' for your tastes, what do you guys recommend for a reasonable loudspeakers for these bad boy's ?

I'm thinking the new Tannoy Precision 6's or 8's might be a good match. 93 db / watt, and they have the additional benefit of excellent time / impulse response....close to what Thiel and Vandersteen have achieved in a much simpler design. Any opinions ??

Attachments

• tannoy_precision8.jpg
    tannoy_precision8.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,289
heatskins and case

ZUM911 said:
I'm using the Conrad heatsinks on my F3 clone and I'm seeing about a 30 to 32 celsius rise over ambient. The front has a couple good chunks off aluminum bar as part of the design and these also get very warm. I don't run the amp if the ambient temp is over 25 celsius.

I have 23-30°C ambient depending on season, and I do not want to stay w/o music in summer.

This is what I plan to get:
http://www.modu.it/pesante_diss_10mm_laterale.jpg

The case size is 45x40x22cm (5U tall).
HS are roughly 215x390x50mm.
There is a bigger model deep 50cm, but that would cause me placement issues.
Unfortunately it's not all aluminium, only the heatsinks, which are not deep, but quite close to each other.

Do you think is good enough?
Otherwise, I'll have to go for an entirely custom design made of alu.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Well this is the one of the many good things about this forum...taking into account Telstar's feedback i decided to review my layout using AAvid Thermalloy OD452 heatsink ( 402 x 79,5 x 150 rated at 0,15ºC/W ).

So box gains 10 cm in depth and some decent breathing room.
All in all much better.

some pics:

Attachments

• topsmall.jpg
    topsmall.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 1,693
CeeVee said:
Well this is the one of the many good things about this forum...taking into account Telstar's feedback i decided to review my layout using AAvid Thermalloy OD452 heatsink ( 402 x 79,5 x 150 rated at 0,15ºC/W ).

So box gains 10 cm in depth and some decent breathing room.
All in all much better.

some pics:

It looks very good :)
I cannot ind that Aavid part number, though.

Ah CeeVee,
There's plenty o' room there for a nice buffer and maybe a Lightspeed vol control to complete the package!
And with all that extra *C/Wto spare, you could go all the way with a rather good shunt reg to replace the Cmultiplier!

Magic amp - the DOA head amp has similar characteristics.

audiojoy said:
any spare f3 boards ??
Spares? :cannotbe:
What about the ones everyone wanted to build???
I'm doing alot of spring projects around the house and such, but, the F3 board is ready for the case and sink. Generaally the most creative part... I'll see what I can post here soon...
Any other brave souls have completion in sight???
:D

F3 Boards

Want to build an F3 and would like to know where I can purchase the boards. Would appreciate suggestions from anyone following this thread. I'm new to this site and the Pass Labs Forum, but am an experienced tube DIYer. Have been reading Nelson's articles and posts in this forum. Very anxious to compare the F3 to my
tube amps.