F2J parts.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I have looked at this part before but it is not workable. The input needs something like -10V to get it to do about 2A. So either you add in an extra supply for biasing or you raise the source voltage to 10V ....

Oon

20190929_074046.jpg

Joined 2017
Paid Member
Do you have the transconductance data?

Just what's in the datasheet I referenced. I'm not skilled enough to determine if it looks like a possible replacement. I was wondering if anyone else has experience exploring this option.

I have looked at this part before but it is not workable. The input needs something like -10V to get it to do about 2A. So either you add in an extra supply for biasing or you raise the source voltage to 10V

So it sounds like at a minimum some changes to the original circuit would need to be made. Which I assume isn't surprising.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Can we collectively agree not to spend $200 for a pair of these things? Thanks in advance!

NOS Western Electric 300B were still way out there in price, for about the same output wattage. I think the F2J sounds better personally with full range speakers anyway. The only thing sounding better is a SIT 1 or 2, which I have heard.
The original F2 sounds a little more vintage and not as clean sounding, but still has full control of the speakers. You have to like second harmonic distortion in my opinion to really love these.

The best way to make it special is to make it unavailable :)

I guess that's my point.... why pay a lot, for a little?

You know.. there was a time when these were available for $16 during a group buy. Years ago, sure. But is that little improvement in sound worth 6x that price? Nope...Objectively speaking. Spend that dough on power supplies and heatsinks, IMO.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.