Extremely difficult: Tweeter with best low-end performance...Please help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
"Ears are easily fooled"??? Who's ears are you talking about? 99% of speakers commercial or otherwise will not fool me into believing that there is a real cello playing right there in front of me if I close my eyes. And I've never claimed to have "good ears". I will say though, that to me, most speakers sound like crap and I find them irritating to listen to for more than a few minutes.

Measurements can be a useful tool, but, their importance is INSIGNIFICANT compared to how a speakers sounds. In the end, our ears ARE what is important when it comes to speakers.

I'm not talking about the difference between live music and recorded. I'm talking about trying to design by ear alone. It is like flying a plane. You can do it without instruments but they give you more information that tends to be more reliable than your perceptions.

The final goal is to get a loudspeaker that sounds good. I'll agree with that and if they measurements don't facilitate that process they are useless. But I know for a fact that they do facilitate the process. At least they do if you know what you are doing and you know how to use them.

Not necessarily. One of my favorite tweeters, FF85KeN, is about 86 dB and can be XOed really low (ie ~300 Hz).

dave

Nice to know. How about directivity? Are those usual other fullranges which sound shut in and lacking air when listening distance is 2,5 m or if you listen even a little bit off-axis?

Big 2-way monitor with 89 dB bass (-3 dB BSC at XO) and 86 dB Fostex. XO around 400 Hz? How this sounds?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Have to look for that. Though I'm looking for big standmounter, not side woofer. Maybe you get better integration to bass with front woofer.

FAST is a concept. Woofer + a (nominal) FR as a mid-tweeter, XO ~100-400 Hz. You could certainly do a big standmounter woth all the drivers on the front.

In Tysen, integration with the woofer is very good. Sidemounting (& careful toe-in) all are part of the integration.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.