Exploring Visual Analyser (VA)

I have used Visual Analyzer on and off for a couple of years now. I like the scope and other features like the waveform generator.

Recently I bought a new computer running 64-bit Windows 8.1. I am using the same hardware that was using on my last computer (it's an external firewire soundcard). I installed the latest version of Visual Analyzer and have never been able to get it to work (at all). This includes both the 64 bit and 32 bit versions. As a result I had given up on VA until today...

Today I uninstalled the "newest" version of VA (VISUAL ANALYSER 2014) and installed the previous version (VISUAL ANALYSER 2011). When I fired up VA2011 parts of the program it worked but not the scope. So I am at this point out of luck I think.

I thought that others might be interested in this info in case they are facing a similar problem.

Last edited:
Hi Charlie,

Must be a Windows 8 issue. The 2014 VA setup installed both the 32 and 64 bit in the same process on my 64 bit desktop machine. It's an Asus MB running W7 64 Ultimate (Service Pack 1) - Core 2 Quad 2.39GHz. I also have it on a Winbook laptop running W7 32. That's what I used for that little test. The i3, i5 and i7 processors also require some different programming rules.

It should be noted that some major manufacturers are reverting to Windows 7 in their shipments, as a lot of the touchscreen functionality in W-8 and other features are causing problems with a few major business software packages. Don't know how many resources Microsoft will dedicate to those compatibility issues with the new popularity of tablet and smartphone operating systems. We can only hope. ;)

Yes, I agree!!
It was mentioned "Now that everything is in place I can now start charging for this", I have found there still are many quirp's in the program.

Although I have not yet had the chance to fully test it yet, I have had it lock up on a few occasions and I still can't get it to work in 24bit mode as my card is of a ASIO type.

Maybe that function only works as the oversampling mode?!!...I Don't know!!

I was also having issues of getting my signals to display the proper levels of 0db on just the loopback test, but, I didn't have my scope hooked up in order to verify what the levels were, more on this later.

But the newest version is still a far cry better than the previous ones.

The newest one comes with a very annoying installer that won't go away until you follow through with its questions.

In the past I have wrote of my findings in the developers forum and I do hope that he has been able to read them as I have never gotten an answer back on those issues in the threads.

I have invited him to see our post's (with links) on our testing here as well.
I would think that would be of great importance to him, since there wasn't much activity going on in his forum.

Now he has started up a new forum for this product and I will continue to try and give him some more insight of our findings there as well, once I can get back to testing this piece.

I had just re-did all of my machines, and, I did finally get my Gina24 card to work in Win7 so I can give it a try in that OS now.

The next battle up for bat is getting my older Creative X-FI Elite Pro card to work in Win7, as that would be another First for me as well!!! ;)

jer :)

OK, I've tried it, and often the Voltage app fails to report anything, the output generator doesn't function at all because I have not paid for it.... I've been playing stuff via audacity, and listening with Visual Analyzer.... Sometimes the THD reported goes down, when you add noise measurements, other times THD is not stable....

I have had issues with the signal generator in even the older versions.
I just use another app for that.

But some of the apps like the RLC measurements require you to use the one that is built in.
I have used outside generators as well but it is a real PITA to get it to calibrate properly.

Sorry I haven't had anytime lately to work with the newest version yet.

My loop back test showed that the THD seemed to be okay.

In the previous versions I had an issue with this as well, and, I found that your input signal must be as close to 0db as you can get it in order for the THD reading to be accurate.

FWIW

I do not believe it's a problem with the software. He simply did not make provisions for that sampling rate. I also notice some strange numbers in the dropdown--he decided to make them fixed values. There is also the FFT sampling selection. I cannot help you technically with that except making changes there will affect the function of the program. I usually go with the defaults unless they don't work. I say if it works good at 96kHz, better leave well enough alone and concentrate on getting something done.

I don't know if Alfredo reads this but better than trash it - gpl at least parts of it and control the parts you are able to keep working. The rest is up to many minds to get working as expected. A product as the VA is most certain too much for one individual to lead or even try to code by oneself. The VA seems to lack the last 10% before it is very usable and it is common that these last 10% takes 90% of the time to get something finished So gpl if not the core - gpl the instruments! Also, I have no doubt about donate a tenner for the cause but I don't think this is a money issue. Nevertheless 10€ will be donated for the cause.

Another question that comes to mind - If VA didn't fulfill your needs - what did you choose to use instead?

Regards

Last edited:
I have tried to contact and give support through his own forum but never got a response.

There were many questions that never got answered there, although he did pop in a few times stating some of his progress and that he was the only one working on VA in his spare time and apologizing his difficultly with other languages other than his own native language was an issue as well.

Now that part of the forum is gone.

When he did express wanting to charge for the program as he thought it was ready I had explained to him that it was infact not ready and still had a few issues to be resolved.

Since it is not opensource it makes it difficult to be able to help him, I did all of the Beta testing I could do with the program.
It was strange as some times it would be very stable and other times it would flake out and lock up on me.
I used it a several different styles of machines and sound cards as well.

I did get a PCM290x to build the proper interface that he had designed for it to be used with, but I haven't gotten it made yet and it is on the top of my list of things to do next soon.

It was shortly after that the forum disappeared. :(
I am sorry if it was my fault, but it wasn't!!
Actually it appears to be some sort of maintenance issue with the server of the forum or something.
Here is the link just in case it might work for you,

http://www.sillanumsoft.org/YAF/

I did give him the links to these Threads for him to check out as well to maybe take some input from those of us that are using and testing his software.

I love this software and although I haven't used it in a while, I did get most all of the functions to work and proved their accuracy to the best of my ability.
It has been a must have tool on my bench many times.

There have been other programs that I have tried but they only worked as a trial version for a short period of time and are very expensive to buy outright.

I would really like to see this software on to the next stages of its evolution !!

Cheers !!! :D

Last edited: