experiment with port diameter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anybody experimented with port diameter? I mean, trying to maintain same resonance of port and Vb of enclosure but changing port diameter. what is the audioable difference?
I tried doing kind of experiment. when the port diameter is smaller it gives a feeling that apparently the speaker size is small. but when port diameter was increased bass was much cleaner, smoother and gave feeling of a larger speakers. Don't know what I experienced is true or just my kind of illusion. guys please share your experience or If you have any knowledge on this.

I don't "experiment " with size anymore, I usually just use the largest diameter port that's feasible to avoid port compression and the associated turbulance that introduces unwanted noise. It just makes sense to let out as much of the rear radiated sound from a woofer anyways(and helps with V.C. cooling!).I usually use port areas that are 25-35% of cone area. Did you try two different boxes with the same cubic footage and woofer, just different port diameters?, behind a curtain?
Sorry to not really answer your question, but yes I do find a larger port gives a more "robust" bass

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.