Experience with this DIY DAC ?

yes you are right ,you must connect cs8416's unconnected pin 20 carefully to that adapter board and after that pin 20 goes directly to +5v via a 47k resistor to reduce iner-band jitter as sugested in the datasheet when delta-sigma dacs are to be attached to it's output

My first chime into this discussion.

I have got the 4397 earlier board. Not the 4398 with upsampling. I am using output tx (LL1676 at 2:1 configuration). I am so glad that there are so many of you trying the transformer way.

I just tried the mod on pin 20 of the 8416. Can any of you describe the differences due to this mod on sound ? I personnally find that this mod does further improvement music quality including more punch, timber and more musical.

I have browsed through about 30 pages of this discussion already and I may have still missed those comment on this. TIA

I never used transformer input / output
I like to know If I can use transformer like LL1690 as convertor from diferential output from voltage DACs to Balanced output and If I like to SE output also
do I need buffer after transformer If I got more than 25K to amp / preamp

I am wandering if someone has experimented with balanced out from dac. In particular I wonder if output transformer(as filter) would sound better than mr. Fikus lampizators simple solution on the bottom of the page : CD DAC Lampucera lampizator

I never used transformer input / output
I like to know If I can use transformer like LL1690 as convertor from diferential output from voltage DACs to Balanced output and If I like to SE output also
do I need buffer after transformer If I got more than 25K to amp / preamp

From the specs the LL1690s look to be a really good match.

Ive had mine wired up with both XLRs and RCAs from the beginning. I have balanced equipment. The trafos are happy either way.

You don't need a buffer, the higher the impedence the easier the load. Just follow Lundahl's recommendations. Just don't try to use long interconnects.

Just acquired some Tams, got them playing, sound very good so far.

My first chime into this discussion.

I have got the 4397 earlier board. Not the 4398 with upsampling. I am using output tx (LL1676 at 2:1 configuration). I am so glad that there are so many of you trying the transformer way.

I just tried the mod on pin 20 of the 8416. Can any of you describe the differences due to this mod on sound ? I personnally find that this mod does further improvement music quality including more punch, timber and more musical.

I have browsed through about 30 pages of this discussion already and I may have still missed those comment on this. TIA

Yes, that was discussed in the early posts. All the newer boards had the fix already done so dig more for the posts, it's in there.

From the specs the LL1690s look to be a really good match.

Ive had mine wired up with both XLRs and RCAs from the beginning. I have balanced equipment. The trafos are happy either way.

You don't need a buffer, the higher the impedence the easier the load. Just follow Lundahl's recommendations. Just don't try to use long interconnects.

Just acquired some Tams, got them playing, sound very good so far.

thx

Just a note,the Tamuras I acquired are GA81720, out of Yamaha mixing boards.

They have the magic qualities, better top end than the a20s, maybe better balanced overall.
They are on ebay, the man says he has a bunch of them. $40 a pair shipped in USA is a steal.
Hey Bill,
Are these the ones?
2 TAMURA TRANSFORMER GA81720 GA 81720 YAMAHA API NEVE - eBay (item 150390841302 end time Nov-30-09 23:11:00 PST)

Reminds me of the ones I got from a Ramsa mixing board. They might have been Tams also. Now that I've gotten over the A-20s "reggae" bass I'm starting to listen to these more and more. Paid 25$/pr:D

That's a tough question for me to answer. It's best that you post on the F5 thread to possibly get an answer from the master, NP. I built one but I really didn't like it, but don't tell Mr Pass.

Bill,

So what kind of amp are you pairing with your CS4398 DAC? Is it the Aleph J, F3 or gaiclone? Just curios? :confused: I'm still collecting parts for my F3 amp and J.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Well, I got my Cinemags, and find them unsuitable - too light weight for my liking.

Connected them up using the data sheet as a ref' and also using the preferred filters in this thread. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong, but I can't imagine what.

I give up on this project, wasted too much cash at this point to keep spending on it. I'll just keep playing my Vinyl.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
CORRECTION!
The Cinemags are now working, and sound very clear and do have enough weight for me :)

Only issue is I may have damaged the right channel on the chip from the last resoldering, the gain is down on the right.

The left is lovely.

Damn it...........always something :(

At least I can say that these transformers are very nice.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Don't mind the mess, It's temp (in a gutted CD player) will build into a MDF case.

Attachments

• Cinemag small.jpg
    Cinemag small.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 622