Experience with this DIY DAC ?

McCrackers - what did you feel wasn't right with the pulse transformer? I seem to remember a post with a pic showing a ceramic cap attached to the transformer. Some sort of RF filter? Will try to find it tomorrow.

I'd be happy to buy the Newava or Lundahl off you if you decide not to use one! I have a Sumlink which i believe are ok but not the best.
When I first installed the Lundahl I thought it had muddied up the bass a little. I uninstalled/installed it a couple of times until I reached the point where I couldn't tell the difference anymore. I then landed on a thread on Audio Circle where a few people were experimenting with pulse trafos on Squeezebox digital output. I gave it a try also but then read where the results obtained with the Lundahl were, to say the least, unsatisfactory. So I ended up changing the cheap connector for a better one and leaving it at that. I then gave the Newava a try on my DAC input. I tried hooking it up the same way as I did the Lundahl(ceramic cap) but was getting no sound at all - so I pulled it until I could figure out what I was doing wrong.

I believe the receiver chip for the USB input only accepts 48kHz max - sorry.

I don't recall hearing of anyone who has used this with 24/192 files yet? I'd be interested to hear if someone has. If it's not possible they really shouldn't advertise it as a 24/192 DAC (the fact the actual DAC chip used IS capable of this is another matter) - false advertising!

- John

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
I believe the receiver chip for the USB input only accepts 48kHz max - sorry.

I don't recall hearing of anyone who has used this with 24/192 files yet? I'd be interested to hear if someone has. If it's not possible they really shouldn't advertise it as a 24/192 DAC (the fact the actual DAC chip used IS capable of this is another matter) - false advertising!

- John
Ah! thank you, I was off the mark, I was thinking of the up-sampling to 24/192 and not 24/192 native files.

Thanks again :)

Hi John
You don’t hear nothing about the playing native 24/192 because most of the people in this thread are busy with the output transformer stage, in fact this thread must be renamed in Output transformers used in cheap Chinese DAC. I use this DAC without the OPT. I have LM 4562 and a tube stage. I try native 24/192 material but until now no sound only 24/92 works fine I am also interested in other modification like make it the DAC to play 24/192 files, or some different output stage. One other thing, most of the guys who use this DAC with OPT says that the sound is better then OPAmp, but how you can compare this two stages if the output level is not the same how you can made an A.B test? Maybe I will have an answer only if I will buy a set of OPT but I can’t pay 100 euro for them when the DAC cost me 60USD
Cheers

Maybe i'm ignorant but what I see is, if you want to play native 24/192 you have to pull the upsampling module and jumper across the jack and feed the 8416 24/192 with the coax, or opt receiver that will support the format.

As far as comparing opamps or tubes to trafos, if you can't hear the difference anyway because of your system or your ears, or you didn't try it, then why bother discussing it. That is an irrelevant observation.

Sometimes I get my button pushed and I can't shut up.

Hi Bill
I have the DAC without the up sampling module; it is the first version without the USB input. In did I make test only with different OP amps and tube stages but in my case both stages has the same output level and I can make a difference between them.
I see that the output level of the CS4398 is about 1.1Vrms at 1Khz, using an 1:1 OPT you compare a 1.Vrms output level with a 2.5Vrms after the OP amp stage and you can tell me that the OPT stage sound better? In my experience a bigger output signal injected on an amplifier will give you a better sound sensation and you can’t compare in an A/B test with a lower output level device.
I will hunt on eBay to find some decent price OPT to give it a try.
Cheers

The cost is mostly irrelevant, if you look inside many $2000 cd players you will find a $12 Sony transport unit. You are paying for R&D, performance and design decisions, and a somewhat expensive aesthetic package. We are making our own decisions using our ears and whatever test equipment we can afford, and sharing perceptions with each other.

The CS4398 has a P-P output of 6.7V which is over 2V RMS. I dont know where you got 1.1V.

Best, Bill

CS4398 DIP switch settings bogus?

From the photos of LM-DAC3, there are two pair of DIP switches on the CS4398 smurf board.

left DIP-switch:
--ON--OFF is for 24-bit I2S data

right DIP-switch:
--ON--ON is single speed fs=30-50kHz (44.1/48kHz typ.)
--ON--OFF is single speed fs=30-50kHz with 44.1kHz de-emphasis
--OFF-ON is double speed fs=50-100kHz
--OFF-OFF is quad speed fs=100-200kHz (192kHz typ.)

The manual says "24-bit 96kHz" is:
right DIP-switch:
--ON--ON but I show that as "single speed fs=30-50kHz" (from the CS4398 databook) or 44.1kHz !?!?

The V5 schematic only shows one pair of DIP switches (relays?) connected to the DAC IC and ground, so a "1" means a "0", they are INVERTED. I don't see pullup resistors anywhere and hope the underbelly of the smurf board has them?
I'd get a big laugh if this thing is running 44.1 all the time, and what a hassle to go to 96.

Hi,
I'm not sure I understand all here (and I'm not sure you understand my poor english:wchair:) but just to clarify :
I have the DAC without the up sampling module and without the USB input (link in my last messages). I'm using this DAC with a computer, Windows 7 and a mother board with Hd audio Realtek ALC889 (2 independent SPDIF output available until 24/192 khz). I can test in the Windows 7/sound/Realtek digital output properties/ format support : choosing 192.0 khz and test is ok (i have the test sound). Using a player with some music with 24/192 sample rate working also.
This DAC accept the 24/192 with the switch left 1-on 2-off right 1-off 2-off.

(but I have always my "hum" sound)...