Exclusively Baltic Birch?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I do not know if it is in the same Arauco factory, cause I know the Arauco factory last year burned down to the ground that is why my distributor showed me this Golden ply. The shiny side is coated with a sheen and sealed the face pretty well if not constantly exposed to icy drink or hot coffee cup. This is the proof I think with speakers the sheen is probably a protectant that can be painted I have to ask my distributor tomorrow. I will fill you in on what he says about this Golden ply it is heavier than BB related to 6"X6" piece that I got from them and no football patches all equal plies like BB.

Sorry guy's just spoke with the distributor and he says they bought 30,000 sheet of those Golden Ply and sold out quicker that you can blink an eye apparently a cabinet maker bought all their stock and the factory in Paraguay is not making anymore of those species. They were called Guantabo wood, I guess we're back to BB. And priced out BB 4'X8' 18 mm exterior glue now its $71 a sheet I said why did it go up in price he says wood now is a commodity and exchanged in the world market.

Sounds like what HD/Lowes used to call "Paraply" back in the 90's. 13 even plies, flat with no voids, but smelled pretty awful when machined. I think there was some big stink about it being 'rain forest plywood' and that the Purebond stuff was more ecologically sustainable.

You can build a speaker out of 3/4" CDX pine, but the chances of getting a speaker that rattles and buzzes is pretty high. And may lose some output or have undesired resonances compared to stiffer materials. The more output you try to get out of a cab the more these limitations rear their ugly heads. What may "work" for a 15" conventional box driven with 200W may not work at all for a tapped horn and a 15-mm x-max driver and a kW or two.

Many of us are still looking for viable alternatives. Something between CDX and OSB, and BB. I used constuction grade BC in college, and it was fine for standard square reflex boxes driven by only a few hundred watts. Started building horns and needed better stuff. But BB is hard to get and stupid expensive without a contractor's license. The HD/Lowes stuff is just so varied in quality. They don't even get the same grade of Purebond from batch to batch. I've gotten some really nice 11 and 13 ply birch, even from China, that had no delamination or voiding. You just never get it again once it's gone. There was a small window in time when Arauco was the bomb, but since the fire you don't get the same stuff anymore - it's so full of voids you may as well build with CDX. I've only got a few smaller projects going on right now, and I can survive on what I've been able to acquire. But when Project Darkhorse gets underway I either need to find a BB supplier who isn't going to charge $120 a sheet or scour the planet looking for poplar, birch, alder or maple core Purebond again, hoping to find enough at "normal" retail (sub-$50 4x8).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.