• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Exciting new line of fullrange drivers from Feastrex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
cdwitmer said:

Gadzooks, next thing you'll be telling us that you're giving up audio, or sex.

:D

-- Chris

Yeah, as a side note, I have REALLY had to give my drip coffee maker some generous scoops, combating withdrawal from Mr. Teramoto's coffee machine since I have been back.

Life just is not as bright when not forced at high temperature through compressed fine coffee grains. Mate is my secret weapon though...and excersize.

-Clark

Yes, sad but true, I am currently going cold-turkey... have been experiencing withdrwal symptoms of mental vagueness (more so than usual ;) ), headaches, generalised fatigue, anxiety... the whole deal this time. The symptoms were expected: I am sensitive to the stuff and quitting from bowl (containing several shots) or two plus another cup or so per day.

I am far from the heaviest of consumers, but it does seem to mess with me, so best to give up daily use. The real difficulty will be the loss of social interaction and the enjoyment of the aroma and taste. Ah the sacrifices. But on the up side, it may be the difference between being able to afford a Lowther and a Feastrex! :)

Cheers guys

P.S. Chris - I won't be giving up my enjoyment of music or sex for a while (ever?!)... but then coffee is not much less significant!

P.P.S. I hope you all have a fab New Year... may need a coffee tomorrow!

Pulled the trigger on some D5nf's to keep me busy for the new year. Plan to try OB and also a simple-to-build cabinet and was hoping to ask for a bit of input as I have no experience or real knowledge in anything but open baffles.

Now I'm building some W-baffle dipole subs that I will likely use with the cabinets as well as the OB's, as I listen to a lot of full range electronic music, and will use for movies as well.

I think wanting to use subs might put me in the somewhat unique position of not needing to get much bass from the cabinets, in fact I would like to not have the D5nf's play much bellow 100hz as I have room issues 50-100hz, and DEQ on the subs - so It'll be easier getting flat bass from the subs than from the Feastrex enclosure.

I'm hoping for some ideas about enclosures, volumes etc, I'm guessing bookshelf type dimensions is what I'll be looking at. Would sealed make more sense than ported if bass doesnt need to extend bellow 100hz? The Sonic Purity Watt/Puppy-type speaker is the only one I've seen so far that seems to put the D5nf in a small sealed enclosure. Any input here would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

bvan said:

I'm hoping for some ideas about enclosures, volumes etc, I'm guessing bookshelf type dimensions is what I'll be looking at. Would sealed make more sense than ported if bass doesnt need to extend bellow 100hz? The Sonic Purity Watt/Puppy-type speaker is the only one I've seen so far that seems to put the D5nf in a small sealed enclosure. Any input here would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

My recommendations would be....

1. Build the MLTL cabinets that Feastrex provide plans for.. The D5nf has very nice bass .. you should at least have a listen to this set up first..

2. Try and see if you can integrate your subs with the MLTL cabinets.. If it works well... then you can leave it in this configuration.

3. If you are playing with subs ... you can also play around with stuffing the rectangular port of the MLTL box ie Aperiodic Loading ... sort of like what Goodmans did with the ARU..That should roll the bass earlier and make it easier to integrate with subs.

Have fun...... :)

I too think that the Feastrex recommended box a promising way to go for starters. I spent months listening to them in Japan, and months more tweaking the design back in America, getting them to sound the way I wanted them to and to be compatible with the heat that a field coil can throw off. This process evolved the Feastrex ported box "MLTL" concept into what is now my commercial Feastrex cabinet, the Oniyanma.

The basic Feastrex design, however, does prettymuch everything well. I would first try running subs with them at their natural cutoff (roughly 50hz). With that alignment, they have gobs of headroom. 100hz rolloff I do not think would give you much more of a midrange driver to play with, and might end up taking away some of the magic via a more audible crossover component (?) A Feastrex motor is a quad turbo charged V-16...It will pull out of the corners, even those of a square wave just fine. If you are subwoofering you DEFINITELY need to get something that can keep up or even could stay ahead, which could prove to be much more difficult than it will initially seem. I am not saying that it could not be done, it should just be done well and with craftsmanship.

Therefore, I echo the recommendations of Chris and BTW above. You could seal off the port (though in my experience the port or ports provide some important midrange tuning points, perhaps something that would need to be worked around). Also, the port sealing device could be difficult to keep from rattling or subtly affecting the sound unless firmly attached or by simply making the box sealed in the first place. This "continuity" of the panels of a Feastrex enclosure is a bigger deal than it might seem on paper.

The Feastrex drivers pack an immense punch to wood and joinery. Not that you need to overbuild your cabinets or OBs, you just need to build them smartly. You can rest assured that you will hear the way the cabinets are built. It is a less than subtle effect that is difficult to simulate or describe.

I too listen to alot of difficult electronic music as well (and also chamber and symphonic works, delta punk blues, classic rock, bollywood film sound tracks, art rock, you name it. I never seem to have a wide enough variety of music in my collection). What are your favorite electronic groups?

I have not run subs with any of my Feastrex enclosures yet, been content enough with the strong ~50hz considering the truely refined beauty within the midrange that this sort of alignment allows for. I am about to try out a sub tomorrow. Actually just for fun. Ill let you know how it turns out.

I know you will enjoy the incredible journey you are about to embark on through musicland.

Welcome, and cheers.

-Clark

I have a pair of as-yet-unbuilt Rythmik 12-inch subwoofer kits that I bought "ages" ago -- back before Feastrex was even born, I believe. (My initial plan was to use them together with Exact drivers.) Although unused, they are now old enough that I don't feel much like selling them here in Japan in their unbuilt form. So . . . I am now on the verge of building up a pair of Rythmik subs.

My reasons for waiting so long to build them are a long story, but basically 1) She who must be obeyed insisted that I do a bunch of other things first, and 2) I ended up getting rid of ALL my speakers to generate cash for music instrument purchases and for for about two years I have actually been only able to listen to music through a boombox and/or tiny junk speakers hooked up to my computer. Obviously, there is not much point in building subs if you don't have a pair of main speakers to go with them.

Just recently things have come together so that it looks like I'll soon be able to get a pair of Feastrex loudspeakers back in my house, but the conditions are very strict. I have a space 1400mm wide by 1200mm tall by 370mm deep in which to fit all my stereo equipment plus a 40-inch LCD display. The Feastrex triple-port enclosure is a perfect fit. The two subwoofers will be "downward firing" designs but I'll put them on their sides so that the drivers face each other, and I'll actually link the feet of the two subwoofer enclosures. The motion of the two subwoofer drivers should cancel out each other's vibrations and make for a stable base . . . I am actually going to put the Feastrex triple port enclosures and the rack for the LCD display and the other equipment ON TOP OF the subs: the subs will be doing double duty as a glorified speaker stand.

This is still an idea in progress . . . if I lose my job, it will not be realized. And depending on the results of my second daughter's upcoming college entrance exams, it may not be realized. (Tuition could be a killer depending on what school she gets into.) So I've got my fingers crossed . . . but if all goes well I may have a pair of Feastrex speakers back in my house again after a long hiatus, plus a pair of 12-inch Rythmik sealed subwoofers.

-- Chris

Thanks very much all of you. I think that makes a lot of sense, starting with the Feastrex recommended box and then applying aperiodic resistance to taste. I'm also thinking of taking to the extreme by sealing of the vent, and putting a small sealable hole in the top and bottom of the enclosure through which I can add and remove sand, giving me a variable volume sealed box. Should provide hours of tweaking 'fun', which is half the point of the project.

The Rythmic servo subs in OB were tempting to me too, but they were clearing some Eminence Beta 15's at 70% off so I'll start with those, two to a W baffle. If they arent fast enough to keep up I dont know what will be. Currently using Hawthorne Augies with some very dynamic Bastanis widebanders and the integration is excellent, but I understand I'm moving from 911 to Veyron in the speed stakes. Let us know how yours works out Chris.

blumenco, electronic wise my faves would probably be Shpongle, Vibrasphere, Younger Brother, Ott, mainly the more psychedelic, progressive and downbeat stuff. (though I heard the new Infected Mushroom yesterday and was surprisingly impressed by some of the tracks, and amazed at the production, real reference quality 'recording')

cheers

ahh poop!

Ahh yes, the triple port. Chris and I had talked about this enclosure alot over the summer. I still hold it in high regard. It is a very high speed sound within its range. It does not get quite the same body or bass energy as the 60L Feastrex single port, but does other things well to make up for it (pinpoint imaging for one). For the space constrained, it is a killer box.

Chris, I have my fingers crossed for you too! Good ruck!

-Clark

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.