• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Exciting new line of fullrange drivers from Feastrex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's also possible (I have not looked into it) that some Japanese manufacturers are doing some interesting things with bamboo that others are not.

I don't know if other countries are now doing this too, but I remember seeing on TV how one Japanese manufacturer was taking very large bamboo and "unrolling" it so it turned into a flat plank. That was really cool to see, and it made wonderful flooring, among other things.

The difficulty of staining bamboo makes me think it is best to use it in its natural color if at all possible. Perhaps other color woods can be used to provide interesting accents, etc.

Of course, urushi lacquer finish ought to be po$$ible too . . .

-- Chris

Reply to question on D5e-II with small amplifiers

On the potential for powering the D5e-II in a 4.8m x 6m room with a VT52 or RS241 SE amplifier --

My friend who uses the WE205D says: "NO PROBLEMO"

Mr. Teramoto says:
"Hmm . . . some people will say it's no problem at all, and others will say it's not enough power. Let me say that where there is a will, there is a way . . . I think it is definitely doable. The better the driver, the more of a challenge it poses to the amplifier, in a certain sense -- and it's not just a question of the amount of power available. The drivers will tend to pose more of a challenge to the entire system. We just finished tuning an EMT 981 player (using inexpensive parts) and our D5e-I let us hear every tiny change in the player very clearly. The D5e-II would be even more revealing. A user might find himself taking a fine-tooth comb to go back over other equipment in the chain one device at a time, checking every single cap, op-amp, etc. If you have amplifiers and other equipment that you like to use and are particularly attached to, I think there are a lot of rewards in taking the effort to mate them with a Feastrex driver and turn them into a new 'family.' Eventually you might want to change amplifiers but sometimes the expenditure of a relatively small amount of money and a lot of time spent in listening, tweaking, and adjusting the setting in the room can deliver the most happiness. And don't forget to hook up other amplifiers that may have been gathering dust on the bottom shelf somewhere, and friends' amplifiers too if you can get them to bring them over. Those sorts of comparisons will help a user to get a better idea of what direction to move in. There are some very tiny amplifiers out there that will make the listener very happy with the D5e-II, and some 100 watt amplifiers that will not satisfy. In my own case, I have a 40W PP amplifier (EL38) that I use most of the time, but I also get excellent results with my R120 SE amplifer. My listening area is 7.2m x 7.2m. Probably, for me, a VT52 or RS241 SE amplifier would be entirely acceptable."

-- Chris

Mr. Teramoto's favorite enclosure for the D5nf

Dave,

Mr. Teramoto thinks their 60-liter MLTL type enclosure would be a very good place to start. It is a lot easier to build than the Maiko type enclosure, if I understand correctly.

However, I suspect you are not far from Dave Dlugos of Planet 10 HiFi and if you can get together with him with a pair of D5nf drivers in hand you can be sure that some very interesting things will result.

Even in that case, however, a pair of enclosures of the type recommended by Mr. Teramoto would be useful to have.

-- Chris

Various

chrisb said:

It's considerably heavier and harder than most plywoods (certainly more so than pine),

It's also been my experience that staining can be very problematic.

excellent info.
compare to pine, yes it is much heavier. I was comparing to some other sheet goods at the cabinet factory at the time.

chrisb said:

chrisbobiak.jpg

]

nice to meet you and a is picture worth a thousand words. That's similar to the stuff I've seen here at my friends factory. So this can be called a "plywood"?

cdwitmer said:

I don't know if other countries are now doing this too, but I remember seeing on TV how one Japanese manufacturer was taking very large bamboo and "unrolling" it so it turned into a flat plank. That was really cool to see, and it made wonderful flooring, among other things.
The difficulty of staining bamboo makes me think it is best to use it in its natural color if at all possible. Perhaps other color woods can be used to provide interesting accents, etc.
-- Chris

there are some huge bamboo forests in China. some of the bamboo is six to 7 inches in diameter and 45 feet tall and I imagine that would "unroll" to make a huge 20 inch wide plank. I think that is what they must be doing here because a lot of the bamboo wood I saw has an unbroken surface.

staining: actually we will be using some bamboo wood for amplifier chassis and I recently had some samples made. it stained up quite well to a walnut tone. Since it is so moisture resistant one would expect it to be difficult to stain so I'll ask my friend about the process they use.

cdwitmer said:
Dave,

Mr. Teramoto thinks their 60-liter MLTL type enclosure would be a very good place to start. It is a lot easier to build than the Maiko type enclosure, if I understand correctly.

-- Chris

are there any updated drawings for that Chris? or is it basically the same as the one we got about six months ago?

Regards
Brian

Re: Mr. Teramoto's favorite enclosure for the D5nf

cdwitmer said:
Dave,

However, I suspect you are not far from Dave Dlugos of Planet 10 HiFi and if you can get together with him with a pair of D5nf drivers in hand you can be sure that some very interesting things will result.

Even in that case, however, a pair of enclosures of the type recommended by Mr. Teramoto would be useful to have.

-- Chris

Thanks for the info Chris.. Yes I'm really close to where Dave P-10 lives, but I'll be moving in the next few months to a different province so won't be around by the time I have the drivers..

P-10 and Chrisby, I have some leftover 1/2'' BB ( over half a sheet or so) that I won't be taking with me. I can drop it off sometime if you'd like it?..
Dave:)

Sure Dave either that or I could drop it off to you, whatever works. Maybe e-mail me and let me know and it's all yours..

Don, yep moving when the house sells and still have to do a bunch of work till it goes on the market, plus I've had a set back so things are slow. I'll be saving up for the drivers anyhow, so by the time I get them maybe someone on the Isle will already have them .
Dave:)

Hmmm, over the last few weeks I have been tossing 'round a few ideas for efficient spks that I might like and have just had a slightly out there thought (long day!)...

So Mr Teramoto thinks the MLTL may be a nice place to start... and mention of P-10 reminded me of his advocating (of sorts) bipoles a few years ago... see where I am going?

Bipole D5nf, drivers run parallel: would bring nominal impedance down to 8ohm (no problem there), increase efficiency, improve bass (which may be the stumbling block for some), and sound a little more spacious into the bargain. Oh yeah, it'll cost ya (me? :bigeyes: ), but could be an interesting project. Then, of course, one could just use one of the more expensive drivers; tho one would miss out on the advantages of the bipole arrangement and that reasoning could apply to any bipole versus monopole argument…

So, any thoughts regarding this kind of slightly off-kilter thinking? :)

Cheerio

Brian:

the block core laminated panels are definitely within the realm of what the Architectural millwork associations classify as "plywoods" - the internal cores do not need to be veneer. Indeed, depending on how liberally your interpretation, MDF or particle board core with thick face veneers are "technically" plywoods.

As to my staining issues, those could well be the result of the wrong product (i.e. fast penetrating alcohol based stain), and the resin content of the laminated plywood.

DaveCan - sorry to hear about your problem posted on another forum if it makes things easier for you, I could pick the material up directly - as you know, my work is literally only blocks away.

cdwitmer said:
. . . my recommendation is to "play it safe" and purchase Qty 4 pcs. of the all-Permendur field coil drivers, and then experiment from there . . . ;)

-- Chris

Yes, that's an excellent idea--I'll bet it will sound good. Please let us know.

And it won't even cost you very much for two pairs of those drivers . . . assuming you can find someone who will sell them to you for 97% off the retail price. :D

Mike

I just finished building Maiko in plastic. These have no braces anywhere. Chamber volume was maintained so bass response is still excellent. The material is very dead compared to wood, but there is still a resonance at much lower frequency than BB, but it is very easy to ignore, quieter and smoother kinda like the bass tone turned up just a bit too much, otherwise only Feastrex glory. Sounds smoother and more balanced than the BB MAiko (shark version ;) ) The wild midrange is chilled. Ahhhhhhh It is fascinating to me to hear how the different materials affect the sonic character of the speaker. I still like the raw whitewood (spruce) best.

I hope that adding some tension on large planes with crossbolts will tighten up the bass. Thanks Dave for that idea! If so it should sound very nice. The experiment was to hear the Maiko without any wood signature, and without any bracing and it is very good result. More listening and tweaking to come with this one - but next version is already in planning stages - but not plastic. Finally my tools are getting used!

Attachments

• dsc_9346.jpg
    dsc_9346.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 722
That D9eIII looks utterly amazing! Thanks for the pictures Chris. I have not read Hal's detailed commentary yet. I'll print it and read with Feastrex playing for the full effect!! Please give him my congratulations on the new D5 field coil prototype, and the Golden Beast. That should be on the cover of Stereophile. Can you imagine the hubbub that would arise from the "perfect sound for peanuts" knuckleheads?

Thanks for the discounts Joe. Makes that D9nf look very tempting. I think D9nf with a RAAL ribbon on top and a sealed box may be my next foray further down the Feastrex rabbit hole. I will hear Dennis' and Mark's this summer.
Rich

gold drivers.

I looked at those and still have my mouth completely agape. Amazing work. I am sure Feastrex feels like having just given birth. What a project!

Mr. Akiyama's descriptions of the system remind me of the way I felt on the occations I have gotten to listen to the Sennheiser "Orpheus" (HE90/HEV90) headphone system. Of course, this headphone system, while completely spectacular, had only the intellectual impact of a headphone system: not the physical, emotive, and then intellectual impact that the D9e-III speaker system no doubt posesses. No one can be the same after hearing such devices. I have respect for Mr. Akiyama for being so coherent to be able to actually explain what took place. Course, that might be because the system is still not fully broken in yet (and posessive of its full mind liquifying powers).

-Clark

NF5ex T/S parameters

Here are T/S parameters for the new Feastrex NF5ex field coil driver:

http://puremusicgroup.com/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1191621955/15#27

One thing seems apparent: for some reason unknown to me, the field coil version of the 5-inch Naturflux driver seems to be able to go significantly deeper than the permanent magnet version can. At least, that is what the measurements suggest. I mentioned that to Mr. Teramoto and he said, "Oh yeah, the field coil version and permanent magnet version of the 5-inch Naturflux driver are totally different beasts."

Any idea as to why that might be the case?

-- Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.