Exceeding electrolytic cap rating

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
for everyone's info, stay well clear of electros with unusually thick plastic wraps.

I have seen such and looked closely, they were supposed to be 35V 2200uF units and when I unwrapped them, there was an inner wrapper (same color, same brand) but was 25V 2200uF.:bigeyes:

unfortunately, that was a few years back and I can't remember what brand cap was that, all I do know is that it isn't any well known brand of cap and the wrapper is black with white printings.

Don,

thanks for sharing the info.
No criticism on MF intended, i found more than a few of Mr Michaelson's designs truely bold engineering.
Makes me wonder about the 50V capacitors that were used, any details you can shed ?

Sometimes for various reasons, parts are labeled with lower ratings than they actually have, too. I bought some 1N4001 and cranked up reverse voltage to them to 600v iirc, and they weren't even leaking. Maybe those engineers knew something similar about the caps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.