Ever think of building a Cornu Spiral horn? Now you can!

Here's a better perspective of the outdoor listening area.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-12-21 at 3.00.18 PM.png
    Screen shot 2012-12-21 at 3.00.18 PM.png
    874 KB · Views: 1,313
Reactions: 1 user
6L6 just finished his Cornu build. Congratulations 6L6! :cheers:

Ok, that makes the list of folks with successful cornus:
xrk971
Cal Weldon
Pano
Bcmbob
6L6

Am I missing anyone?

I'll chime in that I'm building a pair. I haven't posted in either of the threads since so far I've really had nothing new to contribute. I'm building the standard 20" square Cornu using Tangband buyout speakers and a few construction tweaks. If I get some time tonight, I could get the insides done (I'm still at a loss as to how to run the speaker wires) and maybe get them all sealed up tomorrow. Pictures will follow. One tip I do have, I use a small roller cutter to score the inside of the foam to make the relief cuts to curve it:
Amazon.com: Tonic Studios 420 Mini Rotary, 3-Piece Set: Arts, Crafts & Sewing
It limits the depth of cut to about 1/16" and is really fast to use.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Fenris,
That's good to hear we have more coming on board. I am sure the 881si buy outs will sound great. Regarding running wires, I poke holes perpendicularly through the channels with tip of my xacto to define the cuts, the use coat wire hanger or similar stiff and pointy object to bore out holes in foam. Trim any loose paper that may come off. Run wires and seal with hot melt. Folks with wooden facers sometimes put binding posts with recessed pockets on the driver cavity itself. I use some white sheathed 4 conductor home alarm wire and run a pigtail from speaker without binding posts. It looks cleaner for wall mounting.

When did Switters get up and running? How did I miss that? Hey, we are missing photos from Pano, Switters, and 6L6 of their completed boxes. Please post pics guys.
Thanks.

Here it is :)

I closed the box three days ago, I take them to the office and at least a couple of guy said "wow... what a good sound" and me replaying "mmm... too booming, no stuffing yet" :p

Endia,
Thanks for making the drawings - it will be useful for folks wishing to try a more rounded horn. I noticed that your version is smoother and more rounded - that will sound different but it is good to try different things. In fact, for my 14 inch (35.6 cm) cornu, I made it very round like yours and I like the sound it makes. FYI, Planet10 (and others) have made scalable pdf drawings too. I think it is on post 23 of the foam core thread. My guess is that the rounded horn will let more upper bass through, and mids and may be very good for people who listen to a lot of jazz, horns, woodwinds, and vocals. A 3 inch full range driver may be a little small for a full size 74 cm cornu. I did a 50 cm with a 3.5 inch driver, but a 3 inch driver could probably work up to ~60 cm size. It's really all new so who knows? If you try the 74 cm with a 3 inch driver and it doesn't work, you can always put in a 4 inch driver. Although when sizing the channel depth, you may want to pick a depth that in between the two drivers you plan on using. We are seeing depths ranging anywhere from 2.5 inch to 4.5 inch.
Good luck!

xrk971, thank you,
actually i didn't start construction, i have no time before january but i'm thinking about details and parts in my mind everyday :)
found these 3.5 inch drivers for less than 10 dollars per pair.. it's writing 4 inch but measured the driver and it is 90 mm and depth is 50 mm.. it's a good idea to start with full size 74 cm and then upgrade the driver.. also i want to use more quality drivers if everything goes fine..
i'm attaching updated drawings with measuring scales..
thanks a lot..

Attachments

• P1040230s.jpg
    P1040230s.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 1,279
  • P1040227s.jpg
    P1040227s.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 1,257
  • P1040226s.jpg
    P1040226s.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 1,235
  • cornu_spiral.pdf
    4.2 KB · Views: 252
  • cornu_orj.pdf
    4.9 KB · Views: 218
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Endia, 4" car speakers might be just the thing. Good idea!

Whilst searching for the Fountek drivers I'm playing a little Audience A3 fullrange. Fs is 70 Hz. Not bad. Maybe sounds more balanced than the Vifa.
The cool think is to start the driver out playing outside the box and then lower it into place. The gain in bass is very audible. Goes from tinny to full.