Ever think of building a Cornu Spiral horn? Now you can!

So I built the twin to this one:
2013_02_10-332.jpg

but tilted them like Switters. They are now my computer speakers together with a sub.
The E60 sounds great but had to be sealed by the long side of the driver as it bulged there, when I swept the speaker slowly from 50 to 400 Hz I heard distinctive air leakage at certain frequencies.
Also a loose segment in one horn´s end was revealed by the sweep.

Next step is to build some HT satellites. Just need to get them more Waffy.

[...]
when I swept the speaker slowly from 50 to 400 Hz I heard distinctive air leakage at certain frequencies.
Also a loose segment in one horn´s end was revealed by the sweep.

Hi solhaga,
I had the same problem, I used vinyl glue to seal the back panel and this leaved some leakage. I tried to seal them pouring some glue from the horn mouth and then rotating the cabinet to let it flow along the corners formed by the plywood and the foamcore board.

In my experience vinyl glue is too liquid, it's easily absorbed by wood and "shrink" too much when drying. Next build I'll try a more dense glue.

Hi solhaga,
I had the same problem, I used vinyl glue to seal the back panel and this leaved some leakage. I tried to seal them pouring some glue from the horn mouth and then rotating the cabinet to let it flow along the corners formed by the plywood and the foamcore board.

In my experience vinyl glue is too liquid, it's easily absorbed by wood and "shrink" too much when drying. Next build I'll try a more dense glue.

Wouldn't Contact Cement be a good alternative?

Wouldn't Contact Cement be a good alternative

I never tried contact cement but if it is fast setting or if there are solvent reacting with polystyrene I wouldn't use it, otherwise it should be ok.

I use silicone sealant

From the photo it seems that horn throats are closed... or it's a trick of my declining sight?

Last edited:
Solhaga,
What are the channels made of? Black foam core or is that like vinyl? There are no points for internal beauty as long s it sounds good;) if channels are foam core and cut cleanly, they seal nicely with cheap white glue. They are also stiff in compression and would not require bracing at throat.
It is 5mm XPS foam that is normally used as floor underlay.