Ever think of building a Cornu Spiral horn? Now you can!

Which type of wall mounted design is the best?

Besides a small Tapered T-Line, I'm getting ready to build, I want to figure out which is the best wall mounted design for my next build.
First, I would like an expert in either T-Lines or Horns to tell me:
1. Why would you build a dual line horn (first picture) or a quad line (2nd picture = Cornu) vs a one line horn? And if a dual or quad is better, would it also be better to build a dual or quad Transmission line?

2. Assuming you have enough amp power and in a smaller room, would a a mass loaded tapered transmission line vs a Cornu enclosure have more articulate bass? I placed the third picture there to simulate a T-Line (although, since the speaker is in the middle vs offset (T-line would probably have it 1/3 of the way down the line) it probably is a cornu.

3. I want to build one with a battery powered Bluetooth amp build in, covered with a piece of cloth art.

4. What is the recommendation - T-Line or Cornu?

Thanks

Attachments

• Dual horn, quad horn or T-Line.jpg
    Dual horn, quad horn or T-Line.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 630
Hello Cornu fans,

I'm looking for some advice on some replacement drivers. A while back I built a pair of Cornu spiral horns for my son. To make a long story short he's burned up a set of old TB w4 aluminum coned drivers, and just recently a set of TB W4 bamboo drivers. Both sets were old drivers that I had laying around so they did not really cost me anything, and both sounded great in the Cornu. Now I need to actually buy something to replace the drivers and I really don't want to spend too much owing to the fates of the last two driver sets. I've been looking at the MA CHR-70 ($36), and the MA Pluvia7 ($45). I haven't heard either, or any other MA drivers, but the size and budget fits the bill. I'd appreciate any opinions on these or any other 4" fullranger with a round frame that would easily drop in to the cornu without modifications. These MA drivers would fit.

Thanks,

Paul

I have a few years old pair of Planet 10 ENaBLd Fostex 126En used in my frugel horns. Right now I can't corner load the horns the way I want and don't really want to buy drivers with an amp build also on deck, so I was thinking of popping these into a Cornu for the time being since space is also limited. It's been said that 27inch x 4 or 5inch is good for 4inch drivers, but because the Fostex are light on bass, is there an advantage to going larger on the Cornu, or doesn't it work that way? I could go 36 or even up to 48 in terms of wall space. Although I'd rather not go that large. I don't want to sacrifice detail for bass though. The room space is about 11x12 with old plaster walls.
Also to those with FH Mk3's and Cornu, will I be losing much by going with the Cornu over the excellent FH's or is it just different?
Thanks

Cornu's just sound huge for their size. They are not flat response by any means - quite colorful and are very fun bold speakers. The FH3 is probably more neutral and hifi sounding compared.

I see. Then maybe I will concentrate on the amp build I need to do and wait until I get some new drivers rather than harvest them from the FH's. Thanks for the feedback.

Well I finally got around to installing the Pluvia 7s in my sons Cornu's. Broke them in for 140 hours first playing music out in the garage. They work quite well in the Cornu's, I didn't have to make any stuffing adjustments. I had to modify the mounting ring because of the way the Pluvia frame is, no biggie, used a rasp to enlarge things a bit to allow the frame to fit. I didn't listen for very long, maybe 20 minutes, but there was plenty of bass, and nice mids. The little MA drivers are transparent sounding drivers. The highs were adequate but I think that they will improve with use. They are in use with an old Onyko 110 w/ch class A/B receiver, and I'm used to decent class A amplification so that might be some of it too. All in all nice sounding drivers, not very efficient though, so they appreciate power. They got more than plenty loud for me, but we'll see how long they can survive in a party environment. I warned my son the next replacement driver set is on him so maybe he'll pay attention this time. I think I'll drop off an old 12" powered sub that I don't use to help take some of the abuse off of those poor little speakers and help them live a little longer.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi PJN,
Good to hear the new Pluvias are working. One problem with getting blown drivers is fact that amp is powerful enough to blow them. Maybe for your son, just use a 12v smps and a small 25w Class D amp like TPA3118 (SMSL). Or a TDA7298 “Lunch money” amp. They simple don’t have juice to fry a driver like the Pluvia. A 110w/ch amp
Is quite serious. Having built many Class AB amps, I know what something like that can do and how big it is.

Hi X,

He had a lm3886 chip amp with a separate preamp first, still blew two sets of drivers, gave him and old receiver because I thought it would be simpler for him and his room mates to handle. These kids today, no hands, no skills, maybe as parents we do too much for them. Pain and suffering are excellent teachers.

Hi Guys !

Sorry for my massive Delay - had some Health Problems...

My cornu Horn is now in Progress. I hope i'll be ready before X-Mas for first Tests.

Some Details:
Size. 1.80 Meter x 1.80 Meter MDF Plates with 2.5 cm Thickness
Horn Length 2x 4.80 Meter and 2x 5.40 Meter with 30 cm Height

Motor(s): 2x EMINENCE Kappa Pro 10 LF in Push-Pull (Compound) Assembly

Greetings
D.W.

Picture of the Plates with one Motor for Size Comp and one Horn Duct (4.8m):

Attachments

• Größenvergleich 001.jpg
    Größenvergleich 001.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 454
  • Gewindestangen M16 Paßtest.jpg