Evens C-500 amplifier ....opinions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok..measured with a thermometer I get about same reading 27.3 and ~28 degrees so it can't be anything wrong with them. Was just my imagination :D.
Homemodder can you please tell me the role of Q10 and Q5....I'm thinking to replace them with something a bit more powerful like mje340/350 or bf469/470. What do you suggest?
I like amplifiers that when they blow up... only the output transistors burn before the fuses.
Checking all the small transistors on the board is a pain :D.
Also I want to mention that I used normal cheap carbon resistors 5% tolerance (when measured are more like 10% tolerance to me :D ). The designer mentioned on the website to use 1% metal film resistors for improved performances. Matching the transistors like Homemodder suggested sounds like a very good idea. The amplifier sounds pretty good with cheap resistors and unmatched transistors, low noise, no hum just a bit of hiss on high SPL speaker.
I cranked up the volume but I didnt manage to burn anything with 2n355/mje2955 as outputs.
Also I want to mention that the output only has the coil connected....the output resistor does not exist on the original design...the latest review has holes on the PCB for a resistor.

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Ok where to start you asking many questions.

Glad you got the biasing sorted, either the 2sd tranny is faulty or then just connected incorrectly, the pins are not the same for the bd and the 2sd pats. I would stick to using the bd part as good performance is obtained with this part in many amps and better can only be obtained using high beta parts such as those I mentioned before. The 2sd2012 if you look at datasheets is actually inferior to the bd139.

There should be a resistor connected in paralel with the output coil, around 2.2 ohms is good.

The designer of the amp obviously knows what he is doing and thats why he changed the input cap to 470pf too. I havent done the maths on that low pass filter, for more info you can read about low pass filters on wakipedia and how to calculate their response.

Q10 together with Q12 form a complementary feedback pair as does Q5 and Q13 and these drive the output transistors. Theirs not much current going through these I think depending on the design but if they are only at 28 degrees its just fine. Dont use mje340, performance will degrade substantually, bf470 is ok. A complementary feedback pair was used because it is more linear and provides high input impedance to the vas and is a higher performing stage than the usual emiter follower used here.

Like I said this design looks very good and only minimal improvements can be made, its more like little corrections such as the resistor and the input cap. It should sound very good indeed, when you change the outputs to sankens or toshibas the sound will improve another couple of notches too, 2n3055 are dinosuars and will cause high frequency distortion. Using quality parts such as metalfilms will improve the sound as well offcourse and using 5 percent carbon is also a reason for your DC offset, youll find it difficult to match currents in your differential.

Matching the transistors will improve things further.

Thanks for reply
The bd139 has reversed pins :D. I always check transistors data-sheet before i use them.
The 2sd is not faulty...checked...probably not sensitive enough as you said.
I hope I can build second prototype.....with better components and matched transistors. It should sound at least 20% better I think.
2n3055 are dinosaurs indeed but for testing are just great CHEAP AND RELIABLE :D. One Toshiba costs 5X the price of 2n3055.
Any good alternative to BF422/423? I think the bf423 i bought are fake or really low quality. They look a bit weird.

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Those BFs are very good transistors for the purpose, actually excellent, you could try
2sa1208 and complement from profusion which are also excellent for this role, another is 2sa1360 but this comes in different casing, 2sa1145 is about the best you can get. When it comes to the driver transistors I wouldnt recommend changing the ones Ive mentioned except for 2sa1360 and 2sa1208 because of safe operating power.

Hello all....
I am Evens from Thailand.
Problems of this project by selecting the output transistor of 2N3055 and MJ2955 is not appropriate to the voltage conditioning. + /-40VCC should move to MJ15003/15004. Or other Vce can tolerate more than 80V of power supply.

C10 If the cost will range 33pF sensitive to high frequency noise from switching power supply, so we changed to 470pF, which makes up better.

Response frequency of the C-500 frequencies lower deep as 10Hz ever to reduce input capacitor into could help filter frequency Sub Sonic can do.

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Hello all....
I am Evens from Thailand.
Problems of this project by selecting the output transistor of 2N3055 and MJ2955 is not appropriate to the voltage conditioning. + /-40VCC should move to MJ15003/15004. Or other Vce can tolerate more than 80V of power supply.

C10 If the cost will range 33pF sensitive to high frequency noise from switching power supply, so we changed to 470pF, which makes up better.

Response frequency of the C-500 frequencies lower deep as 10Hz ever to reduce input capacitor into could help filter frequency Sub Sonic can do.

Hi Evens

Good you are a member here.

This is a very nice design you have here, I have something very similar I use as car amplifiers but with a triple loncanti mosfet output, during prototyping I did indeed try this outputstage whith very good results. The amp not only measures good but sounds excellent when well built.

I can recommend anyone to try it, pity I dont see more members here showing any interest as the design provides excellent sound.

I only have two suggestions and that is the layout of PCB and the value of the feedback resistor. You shouldnt place the output coil so close to the driver heatsinks and the output transistors should rather be part of the heatsink instead of transistors being connected with wires which could lead to oscilation problems. The feedback resistor could have a smaller value like 22K and with the corrosponding modifications made to the gain network to reduce noise. If I can remember correctly when I was prototyping my design the lowering of the feedback resistor also gave improved THD20 figures.

We dont know yet what voltages butch_vlad will be using as final design as it will impact the choice of transistors but I think he will settle later for the toshibas as you have recommended, I think he is only using the 2n3055 for testing and they certainly arent good for this amp and the mj15003 are also dinosaurs.

Hi Evens, thanks for your support!

Really nice design, sounds good even with cheap components.
The amplifier noise is really low and using metal film resistors and matching transistors will improve performances a lot.

For PA use I recommend that C7(input cap) should be reduced to sub 4,7 mfd to avoid subsonic frequencies that could destroy speakers and the amplifier at loud volumes. For home hi-fi use C7 can remain 10 mfd as long as the amplifier is not pushed to hard for extended periods of time.

For C10 I used 470 pf ...the value should be increased to 1n for high power (over 200w)...usually for PA use this capacitor is increased to maintain amplifier stability, from what I've researched in the past few days. I studied about 30 amplifier schematics to better understand how they work and how to make better design. ESP website is very helpful with lots of information. Rod Elliott explains his designs and the choices he made in a manner that every diy person can understand.

Homemodder please can you tell me which one is the feedback resistor.
Didn't have any problems with amplifier gain...seems just fine using PC soundcard.
For the final design I will use 70 v rails and 4 or 5 pairs of toshiba 2sc5200/2sa1943.
I was also considering MJL21193/21194, sanken 2sa1494/2sc3858 and sanken 2sa1295/2sc3264 .

For Evens
Do you consider making a new review of the current PCB design and schematic?
There are 2-3 small modifications you could make, like changing the components for BIAS adjustment, placing a trimpot to fix the DC offset.
These are just small modifications that don't require to much time and will not modify the sound of the amplifier, it will just make is easier to build.

Hello you two.
C-500, this project I created from Crown Amplifier XLS Series.
Circuit characteristics of a C-500 is found more often considered a form of expanding the range of quality sound pretty good.
Now I produce C-500 sold in Thailand and try to develop better again.
Thanks for your feedback.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
This is the latest pcb review. Looks great can I have it :D.
Looks like Evens changed the position of some components. Q1 or Q2 was replaced with diodes?
No one has a PSU design available? Maybe I need to post in the Power Supplies section :D

Is R8 (39K) the feedback resistor? What exactly does it do?

Last edited:
Looks like Evens changed the position of some components. Q1 or Q2 was replaced with diodes?
No one has a PSU design available? Maybe I need to post in the Power Supplies section :D

Hi butch_vlad
Last C-500 I have changed from BF422/423 transistor is MPSA42/92 readily available.

Transistor Q1 is replaced by diodes to create a reference voltage to Q2 is fixed at 3mA constant current test, you must sound like that of a constant current circuit, both of which work well together and have instead.

R8 I use it with 39K values defines the rate of growth, you may reduce it down if they think the growth rate is too high gain, I think that part right.

Simple power supply for C-500

Last edited:
Thank you for reply Evens.
The MPSA42/92 can be found easier than bf422/423 indeed.
After I finish testing the first prototype I will try the new design with MPSA42/92 and the new diodes.
Keep us posted with the modifications to the design, this amplifier is worth building and improving.
What do you think about changing Q10 and Q5 with mje340/350? How important are these transistors for the sound quality?....apparently the mje's are inferior to the bf422/423.
Good luck with your work!

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
The way to reduce noise like the hiss you say is present is to reduce the negative feedback network impedance, thus reduce R8, in consequence R4 must also be reduced by the same factor to keep the gain the same. Also R7 must reduce to same value of R8to keep LTP input balance. Another bonus is that this will improve the DC offset by the same factor that you lowered R8, R4 and R7.

On this schematics you can see PSU. If you can, use separate wire for VAS suply.
Regards

Attachments

• crown1.pdf
    66.9 KB · Views: 736
Thx Apex
This is the original schematic after C-500 is made. The protection and limiters are removed...but the rest is almost identical :D.
I've managed to obtain some PSU designs so all is good now.
Gonna start building another amplifier now...Evens C-500 is a good project... it has my approval seal :D:D:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.