EV ST350 HF horn repair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just picked up an EV Sentry IV and the HF horn, ST350, has an open voice coil.

I found a YouTube video but it shows a square magnet with four screws. Mine is round with three screws that holds the back cover on.

With the back off, I can see the magnet and plates on both sides but nothing is loose and I don't want to start prying things apart.

Maybe it's just stuck together? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

that sux on aftermarket diaphragms - my ST350 are blown and ugly with broken flanges - got a pair of white alnico T35 needing coils too - - maybe Brian Steele's Goldwood.GRS 1016 type frankenpiezo on a stepup transformer would work.

Last edited:
"GRS 1016:

Unbelievable garbage, I bought 24 and had to throw most of them away (not worth my time and money to send them back).

I have some genuine Motorola/CTS.

It might take a bit of time to dig them out of my front room though (I can't get in at the moment).

Although the video shows the magnet structure coming off relatively easily, mine isn't. To the point that the anodized plates (pole pieces?) start to pull away from the magnet.

The inside plate is recessed into a cup formed by the rest of the horn and therefore can't be pried up. It looks there s a rubber o-ring like seal and I'm thinking that this has attached itself to the magnet structure :-( Any ideas how to get this apart?

The first pic is an overall view for ref. The second is a close-up. It's not that easy to see but the lower plate is recessed.

Attachments

• 350 overall.jpg
    350 overall.jpg
    671.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 350 close-up.jpg
    350 close-up.jpg
    616.2 KB · Views: 72
"do you think the Klipsch "diaphragm face place assembly" is better than the equivalent one for the 350?"

They are not interchangeable, so the question makes no sense.

"If so, just how "hard" is it to remove the diaphragm from the carrier? "

5 minute job.

Just don't break the aluminum lead-out wire.

If you shift the magnet during disassembley, it's not easily repaired, and I would probably toss it and get another used one.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.