EV MTL 1x Subscoop Speaker plans

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

GM

Joined 2003
Hmm, a TH is a 6th order BP taken to its logical extreme, so not sure what you're asking. I mean if that is what it is, then do a two driver design and cut it in half long ways and mate them in mirror image so it looks like a DSL Cinemonster.

GM

I use to build these cabinets. Back about 10 yrs ago I built about 75 of them. EV gave me there plans on building them, When they stopped making them. I was a big EV Dealer back in the day. But they went cheap on things. I redesigned there plans and made the MTL1 Stronger to handle up to 2-3000watt 18" drivers. Thats 6000watts!!!!! And man can that cabinet ROCK!!!! I sold most of my cabinets. All I have now is about 12 of them left. When I have the time I mite build a few.

The MTL 1X were fitted with EV's .... DL18MTL, a 400W drivers with 2.5" voice coil.
While EV's ... SB180, their single 18" sub which was very similar to their T-18 were fitted with their 4" coil EVX180 / 600W driver. A plan for SB180 will be welcoming for hi-power application. Were there any products from EV which had dual EVX180 similar to MTL 1X ?.

Attachments

• EV_SB180.JPG
    EV_SB180.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 318
The MTL 1X were fitted with EV's .... DL18MTL, a 400W drivers with 2.5" voice coil.
While EV's ... SB180, their single 18" sub which was very similar to their T-18 were fitted with their 4" coil EVX180 / 600W driver. A plan for SB180 will be welcoming for hi-power application. Were there any products from EV which had dual EVX180 similar to MTL 1X ?.

The MTL 1X offered EVX 180B. The MTL 1 offered the DL18 MTL.

I was wondering if anyone has tried to build a pair of these subs ?
Any information on this type of sub would be greatly appreciated.
Even last century when these "subs" were designed, 98 dB low frequency sensitivity from a pair of 18" with a -3 dB point above 50 Hz was not very impressive.

The Keystone design (or XOC1s TH-18) is smaller, and goes down to 35 Hz with a single 18" with similar sensitivity.

Attachments

• Keystone, JBLSRX728,EVMTL-1X.png
    Keystone, JBLSRX728,EVMTL-1X.png
    113.2 KB · Views: 295
Even last century when these "subs" were designed, 98 dB low frequency sensitivity from a pair of 18" with a -3 dB point above 50 Hz was not very impressive.

The Keystone design (or XOC1s TH-18) is smaller, and goes down to 35 Hz with a single 18" with similar sensitivity.

Agreed, the low frequency output is poor from 1 cab, but is it really fair to compare them to a Tapped Horn..? Stacked in multiples (3+) the EV's give a much improved response low down (pretty flat to the bottom of their operating range), so the design is reliant on radiating area for LF extension, unlike a tapped horn.

Plus points for the EV design in my book are the ease of construction, and potential for high SPL's, which they are certainly capable of.

As someone else pointed out, the Cubo design is very similar, and there's an extended version, which goes down to 40HZ. Plenty of people seem very happy with them, and there's lots of discussion on various forums regarding driver choice etc. https://freespeakerplans.com/bass-cabinets/11-cubo-18

Agreed, the low frequency output is poor from 1 cab, but is it really fair to compare them to a Tapped Horn..? Stacked in multiples (3+) the EV's give a much improved response low down (pretty flat to the bottom of their operating range), so the design is reliant on radiating area for LF extension, unlike a tapped horn.

Plus points for the EV design in my book are the ease of construction, and potential for high SPL's, which they are certainly capable of.
The Keystone has fewer parts, less angle cuts, easier to build, goes down lower, uses one speaker instead of two, is smaller, and does not require multiples, so you are right, probably not fair to compare it to a EV MTL 1x ;).

The Keystone has fewer parts, less angle cuts, easier to build, goes down lower, uses one speaker instead of two, is smaller, and does not require multiples, so you are right, probably not fair to compare it to a EV MTL 1x ;).

By your assessment are you saying that your box can match the output of the Bassmaxx B Zero using the old Neomaxx (Aura) drivers? The Electrovoice MTL 1X matched the output the Bassmaxx B Zero from 55 Hz and up when a pair of each cabinets were sitting on a QSC 9.0 PFC. If you feel your box can cope with those levels, why not contact David Lee and, pit four Bassmaxx B Zero versus four of your Keystone boxes sitting on a Powersoft K 10?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.