• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

European TV damper diodes..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just a recap on what's available in European types, and what they are:

EY series are 6.3V at various currents
PY series are 300mA at various voltages

Type Vh I (continuous)
PY80 19V 180mA
PY81 17V 150mA
PY83 20V 175mA
PY88 30V 220mA
PY800/1 17V 150mA
PY500 42V 440mA

PY500 was for colour TV.

PY800 was Mullard, PY801 was Brimar

I will complete the chart with the GEC "U types" if I can fin data.

Whilst browsing the equivalent charts, I noticed that there are some traps. Equivalents of PY types often do not take into account variations of heater voltage. From a TV servicing point of view, a few volts up or down doesn't significantly impact on a series heater chain. It will however seriously affect a DIY'er who is attempting to run the valve from a specified voltage winding.

The voltage ratings are not worth worrying about (unless you are into ESL direct drive voltages:) )

The heater to cathode insulation is such that you don't need a floating heater supply. They can all be put in parallel or series.
Saying that, it's probably best not to share heater windings with signal valves.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
EY84 is a nice little valve (and I've got quite a few), but it isn't an efficiency diode. The Mullard data sheet describes it as an "indirectly heated half-wave rectifier primarily intended for operation at high altitudes" I use mine on the top shelf of my bench...

316a,

I've never taken issue with you before;) , but is the EY84 a bona fide damper? It looks like an HV rectifier to me.
According to it's reference in Vade-Mecum, the top-cap is the anode.

Anyway, it looks a fine and useful valve. Please put me at the from of the queue (line) for some:)

Cheers,

Edit: Ha ha, EC8010 is on my side!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.