Euro 2004, anyone interested?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
roibm said:
kelticwizard...
Not that I have anything against the american football itself, but your kind of football is 100% different than ours(including the ball, which ain't exactly a ball).
Just that you know(I was sure everybody knew it, but I have second thoughts now).

I am well aware of that.

But the intention of the post was not to apply American football rules to an entirely different game, but to illustrate something that I see quite frequently in most sports., (and indeed, in life in general).

There are two parts to any rule, (or law).

The first part is what is written down on the paper.

The second part is how that rule is routinely administered by the game officials.

In basketball, for instance, it is normally a foul if you contact the opponents back while jumping for a rebound. With the game on the line, however, a certain amount of contact is permitted.

The theory is: let the guys play. Games should be decided when somebody puts the ball in the goal, throws the basketball through the hoop, or touches home plate in baseball-not when refs make calls. Very often, things that might be called a foul in the beginning of the game do not get called fouls when the game is down to it's deciding plays.

So the only question I am asking about this is: what is the normal interpretation of that rule about contacting the goalie?

Is it a play that refs often overlook if the contact is minor and inconsequential?

Or is that rule so strictly enforced that any contact, no matter how minor, is called a foul automatically without regard to how small the contact actually is?

kelticwizard said:
Is it a play that refs often overlook if the contact is minor and inconsequential?
Yes. But not all the time. If you don't define what inconsequential could stand for it's hard to answer.

Or is that rule so strictly enforced that any contact, no matter how minor, is called a foul automatically without regard to how small the contact actually is?
To put it as it is: almost everything comes down to the referee. there are refrees that give a lot of yellow cards very easily and red cards easily. there are referees that give only a few of those and only on really hard contact. then there are referees(few) that accept favours and give favours in return.

We have to congratulate the champions.
Congratulations, Greece!

Although not a nice football to see, they are very effective.
They deffend with 11.
On the slightest error of the opponent, they score.
They remind me italian teams (mainly until a few years ago).
I think that in this moment any team that was present in the Euro could win them.

Congratulations!:cool:

Originally posted by Carlosfm
We have to congratulate the champions.
Congratulations, Greece

Superb sportsmanship from Portugal, if I may say so:cool: . Greece won the game, but Portugal hosted the event and turned it into a great, friendly and safe party.
I actually noticed Portuguese supporters applauding the Greek team...
Quite a feat in today's age where pettiness too often prevails.

For this, I think that all participating teams should say (and probably do say), Congratulations Portugal!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.