EU to ban vacuum tubes from 1st January, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Europeans are already paying the price, these cars are already on the road there. The auto companies are doing us all in again!

Carcinogenic soot particles from petrol engines -- ScienceDaily

At least we won’t be dying the slow death of heavy metal in the water and/or gmo monsanto poisoned food...

Where I live, they constantly monitor air particulate, and quite locally too. but its an exceptional practice that the EU would probably like to stop during the next bilateral ‘negotiation’.

No doubt the UK will realize soon that within the EU they had a chance of something. Now that’s gone.... inside tge EU, a country could squeeze in a judge or two perhaps. We on the outside have no such luck, but get to pay just the same (often more!).

Anyway, hope they don’t catch on that we monitor air particulate so closely here...

Last edited:
I just noticed on Wikipedia that dichloromethane (or methylene chloride) is banned in the EU now. So no more Bubble Lights for Xmas.

I just ordered some off Ebay. Even new ones are still being made in the Phillipines. I may try putting some bubblers on top of hot tubes. Should sound miraculously better with the cooling effects.....:rolleyes:

Attachments

• Bubble_light.jpg
    Bubble_light.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Last edited:
guys in Europe, i can symphatize with you once the ban happens,
we in Asia will more than gladly help you out,
send those tubes to us for safe keeping please...:D

Won't happen ??..Get it in perspective.. firstly, the wretched EC commission would have to eliminate the current ranges of mercury infilled energy-saving lamps (that behave hopelessly in the cold); these are far more dangerous and more hazardous domestically than the humble vacuum tube. Whilst living in the UK in my earlier years, a bayonet ceiling fitting in the kiddies room fitted with one of the energy saving lamps did come adrift, and hit the floor. Chards of contamination everywhere ! The elimination of the hopeless UK bayonet holder would be my No1, but there is no point antagonizing their anti EU sentiment even more !

rich

RE: Sippy

That Accusump deal looks quite interesting. I wonder if it would make the engine easier to start too. Might save on the number of starters I go through.

I've not personally used them permanently fitted to vehicle - no room on a motor-bike, but have as a pre-start plug-in and have fitted them to builds when the funds didnt allow for dry-sump.
I dunno about making things easier for your starter, it sounds like the parts a lil limp wristed, my step-fathers Peugeot 3008 ate it's first starter after 5 months...... this ones at 9 months old as it's been sat for 5 months after he had an infection caused a seizure.

On topic:
RANT
I :censored: hate the 'modern world' and I'm only 47 years old.
RANT OFF

"Hopeless UK bayonet"? I've always thought them to be vastly superior: quick to change, and avoiding the dangers associated with connecting the mains to the screw thread.

When I took the European electricians IEEE installation course way back in 1972 one of the examination trick questions is exactly what you mentioned; a ceramic or bakelite light socket; which connections go to the center of the Edison screw types ? The connection may be concealed and not obvious. The phase is the answer. The idea being by unscrewing a duff bulb, if one ones finger touches the metal skirt, that should be neutral. There is the other safety function, all dwellings will eventually require the 30mA FI earth leakage switch should trip out at that current. That is today's regulations. Every work bench and house SHOULD be fitted with one, exactly per bathrooms.
There are other issues too, in Holland a two phase supply is used in many residentials 115-155 on the sockets. The leakage trip should take care of that. One of the serious drawbacks with the English light sockets are loaded springs to create the pressure. More moving parts !
One will certainly get 'stung' by 30mA mains drain through the body, but far more survivable than a 1960's dwelling hard wired ( mine before renovation had only 2 wires with neutral connected to earth in sockets) with no earth leakage system. There are inherently dangerous.

Play safe
rich

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
On topic:
RANT
RANT OFF

Me too. I don't even feel like working. All these people being educated and living their lives and working for the sake of owning a flashy expensive home with a huge gate and having some kids and a nice car. Its so boring. You know who the real prisoner is here, they are, they are imprisoned inside of their homes and inside of their lifestyles and inside of their jobs.

I would gladly rather live on the side of the road out of a car or simply on the lawn of some anonymous homeowner with nothing but a backpack and solar panel on my back and go through the street side garbage every once in a while to find some electronics to dabble with than work a single day in a soul crushing job which is all that is available to me.

Bills are the single worst thing that I can imagine ever having. Owing somebody tons of money just to exist, just to have four walls to live in to keep you dry from the rain simply isn't worth it.

The only reason I would ever own a home would be to keep myself and my stuff safe from others but I've been in the bad neighbourhoods which is all that I can afford and you are not safe at all from theft or from others, you have to come outside sometime and thats when they get you. So owning your own home is really only a benefit if you live in a good neighbourhood and all of the good places are taken and priced out of the range of everyone with a low end job.

The modern world can suck it.

What am I supposed to do? Get a job and work just to pay rent? can't even afford that for the jobs available to me. As far as I'm concerned Elon Musk is the best person to ever contribute to the equality of human beings eveywhere, now all I need to do is wait until I can afford to buy some land and set up a solar powered internet access point and run a laptop and own a frugal car that can take me into town to get the mail that never needs replacing and I'll be more than happy.

Once he gets that global satellite internet service up and running the distance from town is no longer a limiting factor to how far away from town you can live. If I can live and store food for up to a year then all I need to do is go into town with a large 8x5 trailer and fill it up with food once or twice a year. I could live anywhere outside of town.

Keep myself busy by buying things off ebay and building things and by growing and farming my own fish and food. Keep connected to the outside world via the internet, talking to people online. Buy dvds and bluray discs on ebay and go pick them up at the post office. Modern movies suck anyway.

Perfect. No thief is going to walk or drive 100km out of town just to go and steal my stuff especially if my stuff ain't worth stealing or if its bolted down to a cement floor.

The best thing that came out of this decade was lithium ion batteries and low powered computers and portable dvd players and HD tvs.

Last edited:
The modern world can suck it.

What am I supposed to do?

I know the feeling, the bills come piling in each month. Rent, then the taxes. Then the estimated taxes. Grocery store, gasoline, credit card bill, car repair. Your whole life is spent just saying afloat, one step ahead of the axe falling.

One acquaintance I know lives out of a van, but drops in quite regularly at another friends place to recover. We all need some space I think. Best invention would be some way to create private space that the tax-man can't find. Or quick transportation between those no where places and civilization.
Even a cave or a one or two car garage with a fixed up loft and shipping container storage out back. A screened in deck on top of that. A hidden heated, insulated, and quiet (re-bar cement roof) basement below would be super. The man cave.

But, if you can't escape the system, then the next best solution is to get some Xmas bubble lights, the kind with little crystals in the fluid. A tree full of them looks great and sounds just like snow falling on a quiet night. So soothing. Beats tube audio even.

Attachments

• Bubble_light.jpg
    Bubble_light.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
One acquaintance I know lives out of a van,.

I have been quite lucky in that I own my own house now.
About a year ago my job went but my father left me quite a sum of money.
So just been taking it easy selling a bit of software and trying to make the money last.
I go to bed when I want and get up when I want and work or don't work as I please.
At some point I will have to work full time again but not just yet.

I have been quite lucky in that I own my own house now.
About a year ago my job went but my father left me quite a sum of money.
So just been taking it easy selling a bit of software and trying to make the money last.
I go to bed when I want and get up when I want and work or don't work as I please.
At some point I will have to work full time again but not just yet.

Nice.
I would use the time to invent something so I wouldn't have to work again.

do not take this thread seriously as if the ban would happen at all...
i remember a similar article wherein class A tube amps will be banned as well...

Valve amps or valves are hardly mainstream so aren't any significant risk.

Its the same for classic cars in the UK, older ones are road tax free despite being more inefficient than newer cars.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Pinterest is like the medieval road theif of the modern world. Its like hey this is our website and it has lots of great looking scenery and as you scroll down the road. HEY! STOP! Make an account! We want your personal informaationnnn!

Last edited:
On topic:
RANT
RANT OFF

Sounds like you want to revert to the past but in what ways ? Depends on one's aptitude. I can assure you those of us who were 'let down' with conventional education often made it up going to evening schools. In the 1950's ham radio and tech courses were the norm, and who also like myself who did Mil service and all the engineering training courses that came with it, can proudly put some of today's lot on the right course, and that includes my grandchildren. Yes we are a privileged bunch but those also uncertain cold war times. These days some folks may be better in software, but when it comes down to the bench and putting the physics together, that's where we well trained profi's excel. As I see it.
You may hate the modern world but I learn't to use the slide rule way before the Casio nixi' tubes came on market. They were horrendously expensive.
If that's what you are getting at, fine; I am no 'fixed mathematician' but know the bits from it; I find the modern computer application programs useful but only as a guide,(often mistakes galore!) not entirely a replacement for previous knowledge. The problem is many folk these days don't have previous knowledge as a foundation, not their fault in having to rely on that computer to get ahead. Still one angers and frustrates at far too many web sites that are dreadful and timewasting to use..and those are often big corporation sites !
Yes, you are correct; there is alot wrong in today's world but make the best from it. We have peace. A lot of my best engineering friends had their futures ruined after the rigorous Lockheed SR70 schedules. This was the most impressive show I have ever witnessed, but for others it came as a heavy price. I am not so sure to entirely returning to the past. Just depends where one was.

Status
Not open for further replies.