ESS Sabre Reference DAC (8-channel)

Algar_emi said:
Hi Russ. I assembled the Simple Reg modification PCB for the Buffalo and I'm testing it right now. In your latest schematic with notes, you mentioned that the Vref can be changed by changing the R3 value.

Reference to the enclosed schematic with my measurements results.

I can only get 2.8V at Vout, changing R3 cause small variation from 2.75 to 2.85, but that about it. All the other currents you recommended (R4 > 4ma, R6 > 1ma, R1 >4ma) are meet. The two leds reference source D1-D2 (green leds) is 3.9V. The way I see it, R2,R3 form a simple voltage divider, not loaded by the high input impedance of IC1, so the ratio of Vled X (R3/R2+R3) should fix the Vref value. I should be able to adjust R3 to get Vref 3.3V but I cannot. By the way I'm using the circuit with jumper (short) used for Re and Rf.

Any suggestions?

Is the value of 2.8V enough for the Vref value on the Buffalo PCB, or is it too low?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Hi,

My first guess is that the current through R6 is too low, try reducing its value I would try 470R.

You might want to move this discussion to email.

Cheers!
Russ

Algar_emi said:
Hi Russ.

Any suggestions?

Is the value of 2.8V enough for the Vref value on the Buffalo PCB, or is it too low?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

One more thing. I only used the LT1115 for simulation. It actually is a not a good choice for the cct. Try opa227 or something similar that can run down to 5V.

My fault for not noting that.

Cheers!
Russ

Simple Reg is working like a charm. Problem was very simple, since I made my own PCB two layers, but without plated hole vias, two connections were missing between the layers, one being the Op-Amp supply pin :smash:
Suffering a cold these days, I missed this stupid little detail. Should stay in my bed :xeye:

Install the jumpers, fine-tune R3 and perfect 3.30V REF. Thanks Russ.
Here a quick connect diagram for the Simple Reg connection to the Buffalo.

Attachments

• buffalo_simple reg modification_small.jpg
    buffalo_simple reg modification_small.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 2,116
Algar_emi said:
Simple Reg is working like a charm. Problem was very simple, since I made my own PCB two layers, but without plated hole vias, two connections were missing between the layers, one being the Op-Amp supply pin :smash:
Suffering a cold these days, I missed this stupid little detail. Should stay in my bed :xeye:

Install the jumpers, fine-tune R3 and perfect 3.30V REF. Thanks Russ.
Here a quick connect diagram for the Simple Reg connection to the Buffalo.

Your very welcome.

One note. I actually designed that reg with the idea of using it to actually power AVCC, not just provide a reference. But it sould work just fine in either role.

Cheers!
Russ

I'm about to embark on modding my Denon DVD-1920 for hirez output and I have some thoughts. Do you guys know if when the DSD signal is output something is output at the PCM end and the other way around? I'm thinking of wiring both using a Ethernet cable but no switch in between. This will only work if DSD and PCM is quiet when the other one is working. Otherwise I will have to put a switch somewhere in the chain.

Just did the Denon DVD mod and is now running DSD streamed to the Buffalo DAC. Works like a charm even with temporary wiring :) The PCM taps seem to be a little trickier to get to so I might skip those and live without DVD-Audio to the Buffalo. I mean, how many DVD-Audio discs do I really have at the moment? Only one :)

Hi,
Some more infos about the adc?

If I have a request for ESS:

- There's a wonderful EVM for the PCM 4222 from Texas. If you could do yours the same way... Cause this EVM kicks ***, is more than affordable, and it's always a pleasure to start developping after having found what you wanted to do and how to do it, without pre-making prototypes.

- Don't you plan on making an 8ch version? If not, what would you suggest to share the bit/word clock among 4 chips?

- Will you issue a Datasheet soon for this adc? Will your company oneday accept to send me this NDA? It's a long time I have all datasheets, including 9018s, I didn't disclose it - hey - and I won't. But the french representatives seem to don't give a f* about me, and it starts to slightly run on my nerves after one year still having not that signed!!!!

For my boards: they're more than late. I'm a bit desperate: I thought sending gerbers should be ok, but count the time for quotation, errors in gerbers to correct and send back, wait for the paiement to transfer (international bank transfer), wait for the panelizing design, then production. But that's my fault.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
MrMajestic said:
Just did the Denon DVD mod and is now running DSD streamed to the Buffalo DAC. Works like a charm even with temporary wiring :) The PCM taps seem to be a little trickier to get to so I might skip those and live without DVD-Audio to the Buffalo. I mean, how many DVD-Audio discs do I really have at the moment? Only one :)

Glad to hear! :D Stereo output? More details on PCM hacks? Post photos when it's done? New thread?

I am interested in DSD surround, have a Denon ready to mod, and am hoping that a new Buffalo with multi-channel capability will do the job...

Frank in Mpls.

francolargo said:

Glad to hear! :D Stereo output? More details on PCM hacks? Post photos when it's done? New thread?

I am interested in DSD surround, have a Denon ready to mod, and am hoping that a new Buffalo with multi-channel capability will do the job...

Frank in Mpls.

Yes, only stereo. The details about it are in this thread, I didn't add anything new to it. Works great though.

Here is where I got the info:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1497241#post1497241

You need to tap ground from somewhere. I used the pad at CS52.

Consideration of I/V Converter

ES9008S and ES9018 are super high performance DAC of the current output. IC. It is high sound quality than Asahikasei AK4399.

We high-end enthusiast tested many OP-Amps for I/V conversion circuit. This time, we were able to borrow EV-borad of ES9008S, we tested I/V converter OP-Amps for Hiper Stream DAC .

How do you think about I/V Converter's dynamic performance that SlewRate and Settling Time at DC to 40kHz?

LME49713 for I/V converter

Thank you Mr.audioman54, for infomation of good performance OP-AMP.
Now I replaced AD797 to LME49713 on ES9008S EVA-Board.
But I do not hearing this sound. I must go to my office.
When I come back my home, this evening, I will check waveform by oscilloscope, and hear LME49713 sound.

And next saturday, I will go to high-end audio shop IKEON Tokyo Ikebukuro, for comparing AD825 vs LME49713 with audio enthusiasts.

NEWS!!
March 3rd, ESS development team will come to JAPAN from CANADA. Thay will also hear this LME49713 sound at IKEON.

>Post #1270
>audioman54 [ ]
>nagae-san,
>
>You need to try the new National LME series of opamps.
>The CFB LME49713HA or VFB LME49710HA (HA=metal cans). >They are much better than the ADI parts

Sorry this is Japanease page
http://www.ikeon.co.jp/impression.htm

If you can, please check this information, use this dictionary.
http://babelfish.yahoo.com/

December 19th and 20th 2008,
No861. IKEON sound audition
This impression report is ES9008S(AD797 version)

Attachments

• lme49713.jpg
    lme49713.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 1,510
Re: Consideration of I/V Converter

nagaesan said:
ES9008S and ES9018 are super high performance DAC of the current output. IC. It is high sound quality than Asahikasei AK4399.

If possible, can you compare different DACs with very similar circuits, one with the ES9008 andone with AK4399?

Very few people use AKM dacs here and comparisons are hard to find.

PS: Make ESS bring the 9018 :)

LME49713 and LM7171 for I/V converter and AD797 non buffered output

Mr.audioman54 recomended me LME49713. So, I would like to try it.

I will check tonight LME49713 I/V converter's waveform by my 100MHz oscilloscope, and I will listen and compare LME49713, AD825, OPA627,AD797 I/V sounds by my home system.
After my home hearing LME49713, if this sounds good, I will go to audio shop for enthusiast's hearing test.

A few years ago, I already tested LM7171 I/V stage my PCM1704 DAC. This DAC has a buffer. (ES9008S EVA-Board has not a buffer.)
Then the LM7171 I/V circuit did not do an oscillation, but sound was not good than OPA627.....

But I already bought LME49713, I try this and I will report.

P.S
My anxious point
1) Super High Performance DAC of Noise Shaping Type has ultra high frequency quantized noise, I think I/V stage OP-AMP needs more Slew Rate and Settling Time when using PCM1704.

2) When using balance output, the AD797 I/V stage has not buffer.

3) When using unbalanced output, the AD797 differential amplifier on ES9008S has not buffer and series resister for prevention of oscillation.

Attachments

• non buffered and register ad797 voltage output.jpg
    non buffered and register ad797 voltage output.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 1,525
ES9018S vs AK4399 and ES9008S

Mr.Telstar

AK4399 has 32bit input and output Digital Filter.
AK4397 has 32bit output Digital Filter.
I think, If inside of digital filter circuit was 26 x 24-bit parallel multiplier/32-bit accumulator/25-bit internal data word length, there is dither round-off technic.
In particular, in case of delta-sigma DAC, 32bit word length are round off to 6or 5bit with noise shaper.

I heard DENON DCD-SX / AK4399 with S/PDIF input conventional PLL. DENON DCD-SX SACD/CD Player, this model has S/PDIF input.
DENON has 32bit output "AL32bit processing" AnalogDevices SHRAC DSP's multi-point interpolation circuit called 32bitAL processing.
So, they want to use of 32bit "input" digital filter AK4399.

AK4399 and AK4397, these DAC-IC are "Voltage Output DAC"
I love current output DAC for sound quality improvement.

But ES9018 is "Current Output DAC" with 32bit inputDAC.
ES9018(ES9008S) has super high performance very low THD and quantization noise delta-sigma converter"HyperStreamDAC", non conventional PLL DIR"Time Stamp type" DIR.

P.S
ES9018

I thik you can not hear and buy ES9018 and ENA-Board now.
3weeks ago, from Japanese importer called me, I can lend ES9018 EVA-Board. But now I don't test it.
I don't know what there was.....^_^?

I know ESS choiced again AD797 I/V on ES9018.
When I can lend ES9018, I will compair the sound of ES9008S.
And I will change I/V OP-Amp.

By the way may I ask you, what is the purporse of 32bit input?