ESS Sabre Reference DAC (8-channel)

Russ White said:

This is easily done already, just use the "COD" setup with IVY attached to Buffalo.

This will result in about 4VRMS output.

Cheers!
Russ

Thank you, Russ.

I am considering the Buffalo indeed (not much of a diyer myself). But I'm hoping to find a way to get tube output.

ps: i'm reading all thread, if i have further questions about the buffalo i'll post in its separate thread.

Re: Re: How to bypass the internal oversampling filter

NeoY2k said:

Why do you want to have another upsampler? I think a great strengh of the Sabre is this oversampling...

Because 192khz it is not enough. And it is not "right" for all but 96khz sources (2x).
It has been proved that the best sounding upsampling is 4x (or better 8x) times the original sample rate.

I wonder how the sabre treats a 24/174.6 spdif source like some master files...

Telstar said:

Didnt you remove the op-amps???

I now have two Sabre8 DACs. The first one was based on the demo board and is passive transformer out. The second and newest DAC is my own circuit board design that has op-amp I/V and then drives the transformers.

They both have a very clean sound. The passive transformers are better than 16-bit THD performance, 0.001%, and has better soundstage and clarity than the Camelot.

The op/amp I/V certainly has better THD, dynamic range, and linearity than the passive transformers.

Telstar said:

Which Camelot DAC do you have?

The Camelot that I have is the Arthur 3.0 MK3.

Attachments

• camelot1.jpg
    camelot1.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 1,089
Telstar said:

Also, which revision of the anagram module was in it? My guess would be the mk4, as used in the excellent Audiomeca Enkianthus DAC that i had the pleasure to listen.
If that's the case the Sabre is looking really great.

I don't know the version of the Anagram module. The DAC is about 5 years old. I will put it up for sale soon because I need to raise money to build some more circuit boards.

Attachments

• camelot2.jpg
    camelot2.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 1,089
Telstar said:

Switching power supply? Wasn't switching psu the source of all RF and bad noises?

Just asking :)

Do you use only ONE psu for all stages and parts?

If you were to design a DAC using the switching power supply of a PC, it would probably have bad noises. Careful design and linear post-regulation stages eliminates RF and bad noises. I am switching five watts, not five hundred watts.

:D

I'm not suggesting you use a switching power supply for a power amp.

promixe said:

I believe that, at least in the pro audio industry, the DSD standard connector would be a 75Ohm BNC...

The most used standard for DSD is Sdif-3 and it is 75 Ohm BNC (same as wordclock)

But there are alternatives in the form of
MAC superMAC and hyperMAC (cat5/6)

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cach...hypermac+dsd&hl=nl&ct=clnk&cd=2&client=safari

But those are not intended for stereo

Further i'm interested in the exact same topic as you so if you have info keep us posted

:rolleyes:

Telstar said:

I take the answer to my question is a yes. :)
If so, do you think it is possible to use your circuit with several psu for the different parts?

I stated what it is in post #1020

It uses a 5-watt switching power supply that switches at 100KHz.
The outputs are filtered and post-regulated with seven linear voltage regulators.

Do you think it is impossible to make a switching power supply with low-voltage, low current outputs quiet, or do you just have an irrational fear of switching power supplies?

:)

I would like to point out that you can get RF and bad noises from a mains transformer, diodes and linear regulators.

Several more PSU will make the box much larger and waste much power due to inefficiency. It will cost more. It is not necessary.

Originally posted by rossl

It uses a 5-watt switching power supply that switches at 100KHz.
The outputs are filtered and post-regulated with seven linear voltage regulators.

Do you think it is impossible to make a switching power supply with low-voltage, low current outputs quiet, or do you just have an irrational fear of switching power supplies?

:)

OK thanks.
I think the second :D

Originally posted by rossl
I would like to point out that you can get RF and bad noises from a mains transformer, diodes and linear regulators.

Several more PSU will make the box much larger and waste much power due to inefficiency. It will cost more. It is not necessary.

Another idea: what about an external psu or battery power? Do you think it is really not necessary with your setup?

When we design an audio component, there are hundreds of decisions to be made on component selection. Cost versus performance. After some compromises, you will reach the point of diminishing returns where adding more parts and cost is not worth the performance gain. If I wanted to design a DAC that makes no compromises, I can spend $5K or $8K. Or more? I still would have to make compromises with a $5K DAC.

As my DAC is now, the design has isolation of all signal inputs and outputs. There is no noise or hum. Even when I turn the amp up high and a digital zero input on the SPDIF, there is no hiss, hum, or noise from the speakers.

I don't perceive much performance gain by running from battery power. Will it lower THD or the noise floor? It seems like a big hassle to me. Someone can try it and maybe perceive a gain, and that will be good for them. I would like to see measurments of it, But I am not going to try it. What will you use, deep cycle marine batteries?

There is an advantage to a DAC power consumption of only five watts. I leave the unit powered on forever. 24 hours/7 days.

That way the low jitter oscillator stays warm and stable. I think it sounds better after staying on for a week. But, that may also be because the other components are breaking in too.

Five watts costs about $0.50 per month in central Ohio. I don't worry about that much. Batteries will not be able to run the DAC 24 hours/7 days. A big external supply will use a multiple of that and waste the power as heat. It may be OK in the winter, but I don't want that heat in the summertime.

Dougie085 said:
Not particularly :D Just noone seems to know how to make a module that would take DSD from say a DVD player that supports it and feed it into the DAC. Was thinking of a module to use that would accept firewire or HDMI as I believe thats the only way to use DSD with SACD and what not.

dusfor99 said:
Separate it. Then make 2 versions.

1 that is basic that only uses SPDIF/SERIAL/DSD
1 that can support USB/Firewire audio streaming from a PC.

2 difference price points, and levels of complexity.

I know this is way back from 8 months ago;
Although the last quote will be in the context of the first, I wonder what the real merits of option 2 above are. I mean, stream over Firewire from the PC ... yes please !

If we only think of the fact that many will be using outboard pro gear just to pass through SPDIF (e.g. PC -> (Firewire ->) RME Fireface -> (SPDIF ->) Highend DAC) (avoiding standard 16/48 USB interfaces), I would *love* to have the highend DAC connected directly.

Wouldn't that avoid a jittery interface ?
Or do we state that the ESS is not sensitive to this kind of jitter at all ?

But what about the driver ...

Peter

Telstar said:

I think we have the solution. Waiting for some diyer to use it :)

http://www.profusionplc.com/products/DICEII-TCD2200K.html
(about 50-60 euros)

Yeah, I tried. You have to sign a NDA with the guys at TC tech to get the firmware source code. They are very nice and helpful, and I really appreciate the fact that they spend a little time to help some DIYers like me. So I did sign the NDA and got the source code. It looks pretty solid. However I really like open source projects, so... if other people want to hack it, then they also have to sign the NDA and stuff. I don't like this. So I'm going to use USB instead. Besides, it's simpler.

(also some people reported bad behaviour like skips or clicks with the Dice).

Hello Dustin,

the Sabre seems to be a really stunning DAC. It was not possible to read the whole thread, but I am interested to test the Sabre in my system. There are some NONOS DAC based on TDA1541 and TDA1543. The best of the bunch has 4 paralleled TDA1541. IIS comes from somewhat modified CD-PRO2 with a Tent Crystal. Passive I/V with step up output transformer performs best (after six years of development of different tube and jfet output stages)

So this should be a interesting comparison - highly tuned NONOS versus Sabre.

Would it be possible to obtain a prototype board?

thank You

Peter