ESS Sabre Reference DAC (8-channel)

Variac said:
MODERATOR"S NOTE:

Many recent posts on this thread have been moved to this new thread:

"ESS Sabre Buffalo DAC"

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1521516#post1521516

because they are discussing the Buffalo DAC board and associated products created by Twisted Pear Audio. Discussions regarding these products should take place on the new thread, while posts regarding the ESS Sabre DAC generally should still take place here.

Thank You,

Variac

:captain:

Thanks for doing that... had to be a fun task :)

downsampling

Afaik it's not possible. You'd have to downsample it. Or not upsample it that much. Why do you want to have another upsampler? I think a great strengh of the Sabre is this oversampling...

... I agree with You. Indeed Sabre's upsampler is a very good one! Still, I have one upsampler and I want to play with it... so I wonder if it's possible to "cut" the 384 fs digital signal (after external upsampler) in two, in that way it will allways be 192 fs going directly into the Sabre: one sample used, one ignored and so on. Can I do that? What sonic impact will have this approach?
  Unfortunately I can't change the upsampler's output SR: it will allways be above 192 KHz!
On my board all the chips/modules works synchronous (External upsampler's Master Clock and Sabre's MCLK) so, I hope the clock delays are reduced to minimum.
  Best regards!

Re: downsampling

excelon said:

... so I wonder if it's possible to "cut" the 384 fs digital signal (after external upsampler) in two, in that way it will allways be 192 fs going directly into the Sabre: one sample used, one ignored and so on. Can I do that? What sonic impact will have this approach?

You could try that and it would most likely be OK because the FS is well above the audio band.

Theoretically speaking...

In the theory on decimation you need to filter first. Say you were going to decimate 44K data to 22K. You would need to filter everything above 11K in the original before you decimate, or you will get nasty images in the result.

In your case I assume the data has no audio in range above or near the final FS/2 or 96000 Hz. So it should be OK. Try it and tell us if it works :D

Re: Re: downsampling

rossl said:

You could try that and it would most likely be OK because the FS is well above the audio band.

Theoretically speaking...

In the theory on decimation you need to filter first. Say you were going to decimate 44K data to 22K. You would need to filter everything above 11K in the original before you decimate, or you will get nasty images in the result.

In your case I assume the data has no audio in range above or near the final FS/2 or 96000 Hz. So it should be OK. Try it and tell us if it works :D

Based on the results Tony Faulkner had with his averaging
down sampling program to get from 176.4 to 44.1, it might be worth
trying this same approach. Just take the average of every two
samples, forget any LPF.

cheers

Terry

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Re: Re: ESS Sabre GUI incomplete

dusfor99 said:

HI HighRes,

Go to the About dilog box I believe it is, then double click the ESS logo, that will show all the registers. I only did it this way to make it straight forward for those wwho aren't interested in super tweaking the DAC.

Hi dusfor99,

thanks for the help.
I have a curiosity:
why you have allowed the access to these functions only through a backdoor ? BTW my ES9008 is heavily modifiy (Crystek clock and Lundahl tranformer): the most natural sound that I know!

Would like to use this DAC for my new HT/ music setup

You guys know of any PRE/RECEIVER or CHIP
that can processe most multichannel digital signal
and output seperate digital signals ?

( one in wich we could setup the number of channels to be played would be perfect )

can this DAC accept seperate channel signal for 6-8 channels ??

else i could use 6 seperate DACs

Dual Stereo instead of Dual Mono

One other thing to consider is that the Sabre has to Address select lines meaning a total of 4 can be put on the same I2C bus. Most likely though, you could parallel these on the same bus and if the clocks were all the same, I bet it would still work ok.

Hi Russ,

After reading this comment from Dustin I got this idea for getting lower Zout(for voltagemode) and noise figures from the Buffalo :

I thought of feeding two Buffalos from your SPDIF receiver and using a separate clock, common for the two modules.

Then parallell the outputs from the two DACs to get one stereo output.

This would give us a Dual Stereo (as Dual Mono seems to be a nono).

If doing this with four Buffalos it would give us even better results in theory........

I know this migthbe a gigantic overkill(if it works), but will it work IRL?

Hi!

I am doing some "serious" PIC programming, also to communicate with Sabre DAC.
I can set all the registers at init time but then it comes to set the volume for all 8 DACs and I want it to do it as fast as possible.
I can simply do something like:

PHP:
for (i = 0; i < 8; i++) i2c_send(0x90, i, volume_value);

But I do not like it since it does i2c start/stop procedure. Is it possible to use?:

PHP:
i2c_send(0x90, 0, array_of_volume_values);

This would be more efficient.
I2C states that is should work, but I guess Sabre does not increment register address automatically :S

Cheers,
Matej

HI MatejS,

If you want to go faster, trying runing the I2C at higher than 400kHz, even over 1Mhz it should be fine, over thing that will limit you it the rise time cause by ther pulllup. If your bold, and need extreme speed for whatever reason, when sending break the I2C protocol a little by driving the buss high upon sending and just ignore the acknowledge bit. This semms overkill to me, but it might just work. No garauntees though.

Dustin