ESS Sabre Reference DAC (8-channel)

“ESS requires NDA for the datasheet of Sabre DAC for the following reasons:

1. Although we are shipping chips, the datasheet is not yet complete. We do not want to have preliminary information public.

2. NDA is also a way to keep track of who has datasheet (and revision number). An update of the data sheet is in progress. We expect to release this update to all who has signed a NDA and received datasheet.”

Thanks

Dustin

Dougie085 said:
How can the data sheet not be complete if they are shipping chips? If they change something then the old chips are not up to spec with the new datasheet. Unless they just don't have the current chips information all in the current datasheet.

Yes, I'd like to be sure the pinout is correct before burning boards for everyone.
But they are far from being ready to ship!

Does anyone have good plans for cheaper 4 layers?

I'm trying to do my best to have the best decoupling, checking every cap's datasheet... And well, I've got a headache.

I'm recording a band for the next two weeks... Will probably stop working at 10pm most of the time. But I'm still working on it, and will still be. It's "just" taking more time than I thought.

I'm actually designing a small board with 4-layers with just the DAC and decoupling. Inputs on the left, Ouputs on the right, power supply under and clock just upon the chip.

I'm also designing a voltage regulators board, a clock board and an 2 ch and 8ch I/V board.

These will be as a "kit" and you won't have to buy every board.

There will be few kits to sell, probably like around 10.
DAC board will probably be around 120$ (50$ for the chip, add the board, components, stencil price and VAT...). I'm really not making money on it and if I can do it cheaper, I will.

Other boards will be made on 2-layers, so cheaper.
Regulators should be really cheap, clock more expensive - depending on the XO I choose, I'm waiting for the quote for excellent TCXO. I/V won't be really cheap as THS4131 are expensive when not bought by thousands.

But I think that at least the DAC board may interest some people that could then design their own DAC's built around this board, and choose what they want for input, I/V, voltage section, and clock.

When boards will be ready I'll test them with an AudioPrecision device, ask some recording engineers and let you know about it.

Well, somehow the concept of 2-day shipping is lost on the distributor, so the chips are going to take a week to get to me instead of 2 or 3 days requested, so I will not have them until Monday the 5th. I therefore will not be able to ship until at least Wednesday the 7th. Sorry.

No wuckin furries mate, I could wait a month. Thanks for keeping us all in the loop too!

fierce_freak said:
^ I was thinking about that the other day, as well. If you do use several Buffalo boards, do you split the spdif to all boards? How does each board know which channel in the stream to convert?

For SACD it would be DSD input so you would find 6 DSD data lines in your player. You would just send them in pairs to buffalo boards. You would also probably want to buffer the bit clock and data line (to keep the phase the same etc) just prior to the DACS.

I am developing a board for modding SACD players to output SDIF2.

It will include BNC connectors and drivers.

You will need to dig a bit into your player to see which DSD channel corresponds to L/R/SL/SR/C/LFE.

Cheers!
Russ

Russ White said:

I have thought it over, but I would actually prefer to use 3 (only need 3 for 5.1) or 4 buffalo boards, as to get the best DNR/THD out of the Sabre chip the outputs need to be paralleled.

Cheers!
Russ

If you are considering using separate lots of stereo dacs, with
effectively separate master clocks for surround I would think some
testing would be in order to evaluate relative phase differences
of the dacs.

It would appear that the lower the jitter rejection corner frequency,
in this case around 0.1Hz, the more chance for the pairs of channels
to have a slight relative phase 'drift'.

I remember this was discussed on one of the studio mastering
forums by mastering engineers WRT benchmark dac. This dac uses
AD1896 asynchronous SRC which has jitter rejection CF of a few Hz,
so probably say at least 10x higher that of Sabre, and there was
some concern about drifting images from ASRC phase wandering.

Dustin do you have any comment or have you done any testing on
multiple stereo Sabre dacs with same source but obviously all their
own separate clocks?

cheers

Terry

Hi Terry,

No I haven't done any testing on this. It would be interesting to see. You mentioned "drifting images from ASRC phase wandering" can you provide more detail about what this is. While the Sabre may be suceptable to this problem, I am not aware of it. Its possible that the Sabre is not suceptable to it since the ASRC in not done in the same was as the AD part. I simply do not know.

Dustin