ESS ES9023 Sabre Premier DAC with integrated op amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hi ES9022 is obsolete. It is ES9023 now. PCM5102 seems to distort in some situations. CS4398 is a nice DAC chip especially with transformer outputs but I have my doubts if it can compete with ES9023. I can not compare at the moment as I don't have a CS4398 DAC anymore. I can tell ES9023 is a special chip as it shouldn't be as good as it is when you look at the price.

If you send an email to Ismosys they will send you the data sheet without the NDA BS. Prepare for a quite short data sheet...

Cartman, the chip has an onboard DC/DC converter but don't worry too much. With a decent layout and good decoupling you will have to do your best to find its negative consequences.

Last edited:
Yes, meantime I've got the datasheet from ismosys.
Thanks for your reply Jean-Paul.

If you send an email to Ismosys they will send you the data sheet without the NDA BS. Prepare for a quite short data sheet...

Cartman, the chip has an onboard DC/DC converter but don't worry too much. With a decent layout and good decoupling you will have to do your best to find its negative consequences.

Guys, please!
Could anyone email me the datasheet for es9023?
The actual ismosys.com website does not show up at all... I've bought some 9023 via ebay and found out that for some weird reasons there's NO DATASHEET on the web!? Later on foun this thread. Would appreciate the help. Thanks in advance!

viktoruzhgorod(dog)gmail.com

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
It is critical. Film caps are preferred. I use polyester (MKT) and polypropylene (MKP and FKP) and polystyrene (KS) caps at the output of ES9023 with good results. Quality gets better from left to right ;) I recently thought of trying PPS caps but haven't done so yet.

Last edited:
i'd like to see you find an np0 cap big enough to be useful as an output cap.... np0 is very high quality, but it is optimized for reasons other than what is needed for coupling, it is best for reasons of tempco and frequency stability mainly, but 0.47uf is about as big as they go, x7r are next best.

I too would prefer PP or polystyrene film.

I assume quantran's referring to C5 and C6 on page 7 of the ES9023 datasheet. These are 4.7nF, which is readily available in C0G. Assuming the 9023 has the same 780 ohm output impedance as other ESS DACs this provides a first order lowpass at 43kHz (or would it be 720 ohm/47kHz?---I forget). If one's not fussy about in band phase response or high frequency flatness one could use a slightly larger cap but not much larger. 10nF would move the cutoff to 20kHz and is still plenty C0G friendly.

So I don't see any need to go to film caps here. That said, optimal choice of dielectric depends somewhat on which test results one looks at, but the measurements I've seen generally put PPS closer to C0G linearity (O(-100dB THD)) than polypro (O(-80dB THD)).

interesting PP or PS (film and foil, not metalized film) are generally spoken of as more linear than PPS, I like and use PPS too, particularly as its easy to get in SMD, but I would generally use polystyrene before either of them.

ive not bothered to look into this chip, dont have the datasheet, havent asked for it, but what you say makes sense. I was thinking blocking/filter

-80 THD is impossible for high quality PP or PS, unless you mean some other special THD lol, because i'm getting -114dB THD+N using PP and ptfe output caps

Last edited:
qusp, big O notation is commonly used for approximations. It's not hard to find 30 to 40dB variation depending on application, design of the capacitor series under test, and measurement conditions. Try, oh, here, here, here, here, here, or here for example (unfortunately Panasonic's PPS doc seems to be a busted link). Cyril Bateman's series of capacitor sound articles is older data but is good too.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.