ESL Diaphragm coating

Yes, Charlie, that is the stuff.
That version was around when I first discovered licron,and there was not alot of information on it at the time.
My main concern was is it oily or does it cure to a dry film and how permanent is it.
Also how well does it bond to mylar.
And then within a few months Licron appeared so that was what I went with.
I still have my original can from 2003 and it still works.
I may see if they will send me a sample. he,he,he

jer :)

Yes, Charlie, that is the stuff.
That version was around when I first discovered licron,and there was not alot of information on it at the time.
My main concern was is it oily or does it cure to a dry film and how permanent is it.
Also how well does it bond to mylar.
And then within a few months Licron appeared so that was what I went with.
I still have my original can from 2003 and it still works.
I may see if they will send me a sample. he,he,he

It's made for coating floors so I figure it wouldn't be oily and it would need to have some durability in that application.
Here's a pint for cheap enough to experiment with!
TEC 1726-PT

Jazzman

I've not tried any of those anti-static laundry or fabric products but I have tried a liquid dishwashing detergent containing sodium laurel sulfate; which worked very well-- not sure how it would hold up over time (some say it's durable) but I certainly sounded wonderful when I tested it on a temporary panel.

Yes this works great, it works well with any panels that you wont to look clear...like ML

But i am finding that all these coting can chang the sound of the mylar... panel..The Dish liquid
Give better mids,but still sweet on the hi-end...some that dryes hard, get a little peky in the highs...just my 2cent

Thanks for all the info..

Thanks for the info geraldfryjr on the cotings.....here what i find the panels that i have can be opened... i would not Diy a panel i could not open...an i like to wash them in the shower ever year are so the liquid dish sope
come right off....all off... so i put more on,an it sounds great...but it add wate to the mylar..but it safe ESL are a lot of fun an sound goot too...as you no.
Keep up the good work...ho,ho,ho

I had deliberately soiled my panels for seven years to check the durability of the coating that I used.
This is the part of the thread where I had cleaned them and noticed a big difference in the sound quality and then I went on to replace the diagphrams to try the new Licron Crystal formula.
It just got better than it was, even though I was quite happy with the orginal ones.
The extra mass makes a very noticeable difference on the high end, even though you can compensate it a little with the EQ.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/planars-exotics/109789-esl-diaphragm-coating-8.html#post2144443

I didn't use any soap product for fear of effecting the outcome of the results.
I really don't see any issues of using a detergent as long as you have full access to the diagphram.
I think problems can occur if it made a bridge from the diagphram to one of the stators though.

Last edited:
Yes It is,it is very transparent and works great.

I can't measure its thickness ,But Charlie has been able to as it is just a few um's (microns) with even a generous application.

I can measure the resistance of the old formula with my 20megohm setting (the highest setting) on my meter but the Crystal is much higher than that as it won't register anything even with the probes nearly touching or using some large surface pads.

BTW
for the lazy ones there is 6500 in aerosol can. Not recommended by rep: "bottled is better" The smallest 6300 is 1 quart... 6400 even sticks to olefines (low surface energy plastics) such as PP and PE. Coating can be made extremely thin by dilution... Stretched coated Mylar to the break point: no flaking
Later,
Alex
P.S. 2 years so far so good.

BTW
for the lazy ones there is 6500 in aerosol can. Not recommended by rep: "bottled is better" The smallest 6300 is 1 quart... 6400 even sticks to olefines (low surface energy plastics) such as PP and PE. Coating can be made extremely thin by dilution... Stretched coated Mylar to the break point: no flaking
Later,
Alex
P.S. 2 years so far so good.

Is there a reason you prefer the the Staticide 6300 to Licron Crystal?
I have used both and can't say I have a preference of one over the other.
Licron is a little cheaper and certainly easier to source in the US.

Both adhere to Mylar well with no tendency to flake or delaminate when the Mylar is stretched.
Both provide a nice high resistance coating.

In a previous post you mention that the Staticide 6300 is water based and here you mention diluting it.
Have you found that diluting with water actually increases the resistance for a given coating thickness?
If so, that might be useful.

I feel a little bit stupid after seeing the above posts.
But after searching for many hours I still can't find any reasonably cheap source for a good dissipative coating in the Netherlands.

(with cheap I mean that I don't like to pay >100$ for a gallon of paint, which is a bit too much for less than 1m^2 of membrane to paint :p)

Does anybody know a good source for me to order a coating? I'd prefer if it is not in a spray can, so I can dilute it easily myself...

I feel a little bit stupid after seeing the above posts.
But after searching for many hours I still can't find any reasonably cheap source for a good dissipative coating in the Netherlands.

(with cheap I mean that I don't like to pay >100$ for a gallon of paint, which is a bit too much for less than 1m^2 of membrane to paint :p)

Does anybody know a good source for me to order a coating? I'd prefer if it is not in a spray can, so I can dilute it easily myself...

You might send MJ Dijkstra a message as he used to sell an EC coating that worked well.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/planars-exotics/186812-esl-bias-supply-ge-way-2.html#post2535882

I agree about not wanting to by a gallon of coating when you only need a small amount.
What I have done is buy the small spray cans and switch the nozzle out for one from a carb cleaner spray can that has a long thin spray tube attached. I then stick the tube thru a block of dense open cell foam and push it down firmly over the top of a small glass jar. This way you can fill up the jar with just the amount you need, and dilute to your liking.

Well I've spend much more on different kinds of... how to say it politely... junk, that would not work at all, including phenol, elvamide, floor finishes, static control liquids... carbon blacks, chineese inks, acrylic and PVA varnishes, aussie coating... just because everybody was so uptight (like they are making living out of that)...
Secondly it appeared that I can obtain 1 quart of 6xxx much easier than Licron: just speaking to the rep.
As I've said earlier water based staff can be air shipped... and is SLOW drying - much easier to spread.
6300 was the only one which makes easily reproducible and predictable results like eraudio coating...