ESL auto switch-on bias power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Notice that the circuit shown on pg. 5 of the Hulsebos project is directly copied from Figure 1 in Rod Elliot's article I mentioned in post #5. So, for details on how the circuit works, you can refer to Rod's web page. Also note that Rod provides details toward the end of the web page on how to modify the input section of the circuit to handle speaker level inputs which would be useful for most ESL auto on-off situations.

Signal Detecting Auto Power-On Unit

Great!!

Thank you very much!

ok, but... always ON is better or not?

After all the kind answers, a new question now comes in to the play: is it really better to keep the panels always ON? Someone of you already gave me a clear answer, do you all agree? Martin Logan "customer service" suggested me to switch them off when not in use, and this could seem to go against their profit, since then it would be useful only to increase panel life....

Ciao!

Paolo

Keep the panels ON.

ML changed their "recipe" afaik - that may account for differences.

Vacuuming with the charge still there (someone asked) could cause arcing through the diaphragm and/or mess up the coating. Discharge the cells before cleaning.

You are not going to get rid of dust by using a fan. It's electrostatic!! Take a look at how powder coated finishes are applied - the stuff is SUCKED to the material by the charge...

You can run an electrostatic air cleaner, and that will help some, but it will also cause more precipitation of dust onto various surfaces... if ur really in an area which causes a dust buildup that is VISIBLE or causes arcing then you may wish to consider a really large air cleaner, and/or a HEPA filter (change often) to mechanically remove as much dust from the air in the room as possible. LARGER air filters work better than those little ones... fwiw.

Moray James or Calvin might have more answers than I have on this topic...

_-_-bear

I've built a circuit greatly influenced by Rod Elliots version, and it works great!

The card can be seen on top off the EHT in the lower left corner of the picture.

EPH42.jpg

If you only use your ESLs to listen to music on fairly normal listening levels, you probably can get away with a simple MosFet-switch.

R

Hi "R"!

I've built a circuit greatly influenced by Rod Elliots version, and it works great!

The card can be seen on top off the EHT in the lower left corner of the picture.

If you only use your ESLs to listen to music on fairly normal listening levels, you probably can get away with a simple MosFet-switch.

R

did you notice any sonic difference just after switch on and after several hours? I still think that Bear is right in suggesting to keep them always on, if it wasn't for the dust :-(

Ciao

Paolo

Last edited:
did you notice any sonic difference just after switch on and after several hours?

Yepp - I must say that I do!

This is probably due to a small leak in one off my panels in combination with the extremely humid weather we have been having this summer.

If I heat treat the panel, the problem goes away and I get ~100% charge in 30s - 1min => I'll have to redo the panel sometime soon!

I have small children in the house and like the EHT to be active only when they are safely sitting in the sofa watching TV.

Otherwise I would have them powered on all the time!

Roger

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.