• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

ES9023 / WM8804 S/PDIF "Subbu DAC V3" GB Interest

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A single board might be nice to have but you can realize this with an SPDIF Receiver (e.g. TP SPDIF Transeiver Module) + I2S MUX (e.g. TP Otto II) + I2S DAC.

I know of the twistedpear boards. But this solution would be quite expensive (around 100$ extra) and the tranceiver board is out of stock since forever.

Actually I was half joking. But only half, maybe there is real interest for this from others and there will be a surprise third BCB :)

EDIT:
after thinking about it for a second, a board with switch would actually make the other two single boards redundant...

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
We choose for the best solution either with SPDIF or I2S. A relay is no option. If one wants features then our DACs are not the right choice. We design purely for audio quality. I can not make it any clearer but we did drop the U.FL on this board with a reason as explained before. We try to finish the second version so please give us some time (again).

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Final version of Subbu DAC V3 SE SPDIF has been approved, the Master of DACs (Subbu) will announce it but I spoil the party by being just a bit quicker ;)

Some features to warm up the SPDIF aficionados:

- As said before: no U.FL as it is meant to squeeze the max out of our beloved (cough) SPDIF interface...
- better layout for C32
- Molex KK connectors
- More pads for experimenting with caps
- Vias to the GND plane for experimenting with shielding the charge pump area (untested but costs nothing to add so feel free to try it out and report your results)
- decoupling caps closer to the DAC power supply pins
- introducing headache: one (1) 0603 cap....
- better footprint for the resistor array
- larger footprint for the 100 µF caps
- possibility for using 5 x 3 mm XO's

No breathtaking hardware differences with V2.6 but that was to be expected. The V3 beta already performs better than V2.6. The power supply PCB has been changed slightly (through hole diode bridge, higher current capability) but it has not yet been approved. I want to apologize for the long waiting and I hope it was worth the waiting. I think it is.

I changed my row in the spreadsheet to zeros, as I'd prefer to wait for a USB version.

Since when does "other" version translate to "USB" version ? :)

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
You are not telling me to delay things any further do you ? ;)

My advice is to not sit on the fence, there has been plenty of time (seas of time would be a better phrase) and we want to have the PCBs ordered, paid for and then produced. Fence sitters always are the guys that ask for products when they're not available anymore and that habit comes with much emailing. It is really more relaxing to try things out, besides that the cost of this DAC is low. If you decide now you can not really be accused of being a risk taking "early adopter" :D

Not trying to convince you but the earlier boards were quite popular as I later even saw ads of people asking for them. Chances are likely that you can simply just buy one (no need for a fence) and sell it later when you make yet another tough decision of selling it. Really, we got more requests for V2.6 boards after they were sold than when they were available. That won't be different now. We gave in and promised a V3 which arrived finally but there won't be any follow up except for "the other version".

No V4 folks ! If you want an SPDIF version this is the chance to get one.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.