• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

ES9023 / WM8804 S/PDIF DAC Group Buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
More photos of my Subbu S/PDIF DAC build

I thought I'd share my implementation of the DAC. It's part of a preamplifier/ control center containing an Elliott Sounds Products (ESP) preamplifier, ESP active X-over, ESP 15V power supply and a Twisted Pear USB DAC. It's enclosure, made by me from aluminum sheet metal, is above some fuses and power wires. I'm using a TOSLINK input module powered by the 9V battery. Notice my Velleman benchtop power supply sitting on top of the case. Of course, this is temporary until the power supply boards arrive.

The sound? I'm listening to Windows lossless files through my computer. I'm using Carlos Mergulhao's DX Blame driving a pair of Vandersteen 3's.
I don't have a good reference to which to compare it, as my Twisted Pear mysteriously stopped working months ago, and I've gotten accustomed to my computer's analog out:(.

First thing I noticed was that sound was a bit muffled and lacked detail - maybe rolled off at the highs a bit? Next thing I noticed was that many notes and drums seem to have more "punch" like maybe a faster attack. Then I noticed a big improvement in channel separation. It's hard to give subjective impressions when I'm accustomed to listening to bad (computer's analog out) sound, and don't have anything good to which to compare it. Also, note that I still haven't replaced C8 or C19 yet.

That's it for me! I'm looking forward to the power supply boards!

Attachments

• in preamp open.JPG
    in preamp open.JPG
    267.3 KB · Views: 1,025
  • in preamps closed.JPG
    in preamps closed.JPG
    195.1 KB · Views: 989
Last edited:
Just a quick note: Mouser is out of the oscillator (Crystek Corp #C3391-50.000) and doesn't expect shipping until November 7. The 4.99KR resistor (Panasonic #667-ERA-6AEB4991) which I think is for the power supply is also out of stock, and is expected to ship Nov 12.

There are just too many of us, and we're depleting the world's supply of components!

Finally built one of my dacs (been unwell). It's fantastic . Have it running straight into my power amp via a penny & giles pot , currently powered by a temporary 5v linear supply . Fed by an original a8t cd player - this dac wipes the floor with the output stage built into the cd player . About to give it a whirl with my squeezebox touch . A massive thank you to Subbu and jean Paul. Superb fidelity at a knock down price . Power amp is a doug self 30w trimodal , which is only ever in class a . Speakers are sd acoustics sd5r , if anyone is interested ! Back to the music ...
a9udu6up.jpg

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Finally built one of my dacs (been unwell). It's fantastic . Have it running straight into my power amp via a penny & giles pot , currently powered by a temporary 5v linear supply . Fed by an original a8t cd player - this dac wipes the floor with the output stage built into the cd player . About to give it a whirl with my squeezebox touch . A massive thank you to Subbu and jean Paul. Superb fidelity at a knock down price . Power amp is a doug self 30w trimodal , which is only ever in class a . Speakers are sd acoustics sd5r , if anyone is interested ! Back to the music ...

Nice build. I am glad you like the design. You used a tad too much solder at some resistors and please clean the board. Enjoy it !

Last edited:
IMG_8584.jpg

IMG_8583.jpg

IMG_8585.jpg

I made a small change and relocated the 3 x 51R (R7,R8 and R9) to a small adaptor card to allow unplugging of the s/pdif section when I wanted so I can connect a USB-I2S module here.

Also did anyone try using small value film cap with less than few uF at C9 and C32 ? How's the result ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.