Eros Mk II Help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I can't answer that. I know that acoustically and electrically the parallel and serial look and sound the same to the source if their parameters are equal. The difference is with a serial when the impedance of the woofer changes due to frequency the tweeter impedance changes exactly opposite therefore canceling. This means a serial crossover has a very stable impedance. The down side is the woofer is attached directly to the tweeter and therefore any backward EMF generated by the woofer is fed directly into the tweeter which may or may not be audible. If designed with identical behavior a parallel or serial should sound identical. Wayne’s do not sound identical which means there is something shifted between them. I prefer the parallel crossover sound. All of my amps tolerate any impedance swings made by the parallel model.

Building Eros too.

This is one of the setbacks to using a serial design. The tweeter is in series with bass. That means anything you do to the tweeter will also affect the bass to a certain level. Adjusting the tweeter up or down will also adjust the bass up or down although not equally.

Hi there,

Congratulations with your Eros's, RickWG - they look amazing.

I am building a set too - have opted for the serial x-over and have just assembled them (using 12 awg foil coils, but standard caps only).
I am doing a modified build in 24 mm MDF. Outer dimensions are: H90 x W26.5 x D36 cm (actually I have made a skewed base - front is 91.5 cm and back is 88.5 cm).
I guess it will leave me with a physical Vb of around 55 liters.
Instead of doing a double-sided cabinet, I intend to cover all interiour surfaces with bitumen. Any opinion on that?

May I ask if you know of the actual physical volume of you cabinets (for the bass-section)?
How much tweaking and trimming do you think is required for the serial x-over? Will it work out-of-the-box?

Thanks.

If you keep the internal volumn the same as the original I think the crossover will be fine. The drivers are quite good. I am currently using the original crossover. I tried the serial first and found it to be light sounding. The original is just perfect for my taste. I have no trouble with cabinet vibrations. My front and rear baffles are 1 1/2" thick MDF and the rest is 1" solid Red Oak hardwood. If you stick with the original internal volumn you will be very pleased with this design. That volumn is what makes the magic happen. I also use the original port size.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.