Entry Level Turntables: Any Suggestions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I'm a little upset about the hinge the previous owner screwed in there, but oh well.

IMHO, dustcovers are best used as handy containers for a projects parts.

attached is a pic of the "dustcover" i use. Gotta make another for my new TT

dave

Attachments

• Rega-dust-cover.jpg
    Rega-dust-cover.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 778
IMHO, dustcovers are best used as handy containers for a projects parts.

attached is a pic of the "dustcover" i use. Gotta make another for my new TT

dave

That... is awesome! As far as the AR-XB, I'm just irritated that there are going to be a bunch of holes on the back. Maybe I'll just build a new housing for it... hmmm... Holy ****, I want an ebony TT.

i changed the color. it was polished alliunim...sorry spell check dosent work on my phone.
i love the look, im working on one now for a new arm. im thinking a wood grace? ill hsve to save my pennies..
is this type of arm anygood..the microtrak? sound good to me. but just wondering how it would stand up to a basic rega or sorts

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I'm just irritated that there are going to be a bunch of holes on the back. Maybe I'll just build a new housing for it... hmmm... Holy ****, I want an ebony TT.

Indeed, it has to be thot of as an impetus to push the new plinth project higher up in the queue -- a good thing (you want to do the arm swap at the same time).

dave

I'm expecting the TT today or tomorrow, and I ordered a VSPS kit to start off with as a preamp. Any words of wisdom regarding the VSPS, or any other preamp for that matter?

good deal! i got a vsps too. i like it better than the phono in my pricey denon pre.
i cant recomend it enough.

i dont know about useing wisdom and my words in the same sentance but......here are some sujestions.

i did try useing a seprate case for the power supply. made no diffrance, to my ears.
use the best transformer you can get, like it says in the directions......truely make a diffrance.
short signal wires. make them as short as possable.

only trouble i had was the ground plane. he did such a good job, in that it is thick copper, and all over the back, i had too low wattage iron to solder. and it was a bit challanging.
great phono 4 the $.....hell 4 9times the money.

The AR-XB shipped in great condition, with the exception that I have no audio output... :(

The cartridge is the original Shure M91ED, and doesn't look like it's in great condition. I'm going to check for continuity through the tonearm to the RCA jacks tonight, but I'm worried that I'll have to rewire the signal path (was already planning on rewiring everything else).

I have to oil the platter and tonearm, no biggie.

Need to order a new drive band.

Need to wire RCA jacks to the box instead of using the original male plugs.

My questions to you, oh great and wonderful experts of the internet, are:

I need a new cartridge around ~$50... stick with Shure (M97xE, trying to stick with MM cartridges), or move to something else, like an Ortofon? Also, what kind of oil would you suggest for the platter/tonearm? Any ideas why I have no output (no obviously broken wires)?

no out put could be allot of things.... on the right track with the meter. after ohming those out i would do the same with the cartrage.
dont take this as anything other than covering the basics........
did you have it pluged into a phonostage?
oil....... everyone has a sujestion on that one.
some say sewing mach. oil is best. ...i use ele motor oil. i have had light motor oil recomended to me before.

cartrage....welcome to the neverending battle.
everyone has a fav.
i loved my shure with mine. matched the arm well. the shure is a wonderful car for the money. under 60$ its my fav.
thats just my ears, so take that with a pinch of salt.

Thanks for the advice!

I ordered the Shure M97xE. The reviews were pretty good, and the price was right.

I was going to check from the jacks to the four-pin connection in the tonearm. Not sure how to check the cartridge itself, as I don't know where to test for input... output being the four wires.

I'm using an older (but still in great condition) Sony amp with a phonostage. I get a hum if I crank it WAY up (as expected), so I assume the amp is at least registering the presence of the RCA cables.

I'm looking forward to slowly replacing and improving bits and pieces here any there, listening to albums that I know very well the entire time. This should give me a good idea of how and what affects analog sources.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.