Energy 22 Ref Con Restoration

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I have been reading this thread with great interest since I too have a set of Reference 22s with blown tweeters. Unfortunately, restoration costs are out of my price range at the moment. Would any of you be able to recommend an off-the-shelf tweeter I could temporarily use?

Well hi, I was doing some research on a pair of speakers a friend of mine gave me, yupper I did say gave me.:)
I really didn't realize exactly what I had, other than a set of really good looking speakers that were heavy as all heck. Other than a couple of coffee cup stains on the tops of them(easily removed), these speakers look absolutely pristine.

They are the Energy 22 Reference Connoisseur floor speakers. I was blown away the first time I hooked them up to my Panasonic home theater amp and turned them on, the sound of these speakers blew me away.My friend didn't have room when he had to move,he told me these speakers weren't exactly cheap by any means, but wow what a early christmas gift.:deer:
Once I had done some research on them, and really there wasn't too much to be found, even on the Energy home page they no longer list hardly any information on them, I have managed to find a owners manual, and some reference material on them, even as to who to send the tweeters to if they ever need to be re-built,(thanks to this thread) so we are good there at least. But I am glad I have found this forum and a bunch of people who know about these great, canadian made speakers.

After reading this thread, I had to do this post to let you's know what I had come across and how, I have seen postings on these speakers going for as much as 1200.00 dollars down to 450.00

These speakers, I know were not beaten on by no means by the previous (original) owner, no scratches, the oak vaneer is perfect, the cabinets are in perfect shape and are totally original, and they are a match set, right down to the original knob type connectors in the bottom, and the perfect no rips or stains in the original dark brown covers.I now concider myself to have gotten very lucky to have had these speakers passed onto me. :cool:
As far as I am concerened they will not be beaten on by there new owner either, but treated with utmost respect and T.L.C. :p

This really makes me wonder if I should rebuild the original tweeters in the Ref Conns just scored? My thought was to just run them as is, assuming the sound would be the same, just with better cooling properties and thus power handling. It seems that is not the case. Guess I could always get the second pair of 22's with rebuilt tweeters (they were factory rebuilds--same as what ABI does???) and face them off. The second pair is Pro Monitors, but I'd think the main difference in sound would be on the low end, so the tweeter comparison would be valid?

The 22's were clearly superior to the 9se's when I did an A/B last night. Not that the 9se's are not pretty good, but the 22's were better across the board. The bass on the 9se's was somewhat undefined compared to the 22's. I expected a better performance from the 22's on the higher frequencies, but the superior bass definition was maybe the biggest surprise.

If your happy with them then i'd leave the tweeters for now...the difference in mine was not huge...just a little airyer and a slightly stronger extreme top end. ABI Tech in Halifax Nova Scotia is the company that bought all the tooling to make the tweeters except for the aluminum faceplate and magnet assembly. They have the original diaphragm press so you'll pretty much be getting a brand new tweeter with a rebuild. They also provide a new foam trim piece.

Last edited:
Well hi, I was doing some research on a pair of speakers a friend of mine gave me, yupper I did say gave me.:)
I really didn't realize exactly what I had, other than a set of really good looking speakers that were heavy as all heck. Other than a couple of coffee cup stains on the tops of them(easily removed), these speakers look absolutely pristine.

They are the Energy 22 Reference Connoisseur floor speakers. I was blown away the first time I hooked them up to my Panasonic home theater amp and turned them on, the sound of these speakers blew me away.My friend didn't have room when he had to move,he told me these speakers weren't exactly cheap by any means, but wow what a early christmas gift.:deer:
Once I had done some research on them, and really there wasn't too much to be found, even on the Energy home page they no longer list hardly any information on them, I have managed to find a owners manual, and some reference material on them, even as to who to send the tweeters to if they ever need to be re-built,(thanks to this thread) so we are good there at least. But I am glad I have found this forum and a bunch of people who know about these great, canadian made speakers.

After reading this thread, I had to do this post to let you's know what I had come across and how, I have seen postings on these speakers going for as much as 1200.00 dollars down to 450.00

These speakers, I know were not beaten on by no means by the previous (original) owner, no scratches, the oak vaneer is perfect, the cabinets are in perfect shape and are totally original, and they are a match set, right down to the original knob type connectors in the bottom, and the perfect no rips or stains in the original dark brown covers.I now concider myself to have gotten very lucky to have had these speakers passed onto me. :cool:
As far as I am concerened they will not be beaten on by there new owner either, but treated with utmost respect and T.L.C. :p

Wow lucky you ! these retailed from 1900 for basic pepple black like mine to around 2500 bucks for the wood finishes. Piano Black was even more i believe.

The kids and most adults like the bassiness of the sounds from various movies, you can feel the bass really good in the floor, with these as my front (2) they simple sound awesome, only now I will have to get a set of surrounds to go with them just to finish things off a bit,they look good and they can rock when nessesary lol. For now we will give these speakers a good home, and we will accomplish one miracle at a time. :p

FNG here, I just stumbled on to a set of Energy 22 RC's at a local garage sale.
bought them just to sit out in the garage while I am tinkering. That was until I researched what they really are. needless so say they won't be hanging out in the garage to long.

Both tweeters are done, but I am really considering sending them to ABI.

The pair are in otherwise great shape.

they are the natural oak finish.

Attachments

• Kalahari 001.jpg
    Kalahari 001.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 317
Last edited:
'garage sale'? you make me ill!
those look fantastic.
david

Not only was it a garage sale but I was not even really garage sale shopping.

I was dropping my daughter off at her friends and they were having the sale by chance that day. I saw them and the cabinets looked good to me.

I am not rubbing it in, I am really amazed that I was this lucky. I am usually on the short end of the ugly stick

Last edited:
i've run energy speakers for years and remember auditioning your conn's in the early 90's. i fell in love with them but didn't feel like paying ~$2200.00 at the time. have kicked myself ever since. -an audio friend had a buddy store some stuff at his house years ago and after a few years and no word from the guy, my friend figured since the fellow owed some money he would go through the stuff and see if there was any value. if he didn't find a pair of ref 22's in boxes. you guys make me sick ;)

those speakers really introduced me to imaging. proper set up and lots of clean power (i think i heard them with 250w class A) they will really sing.

david

Last edited:
Hi All - I'm a complete and total n00b, but am the proud new owner of a set of Energy Ref Connossier 22's that I was handed down by my father who recently upgraded his home stereo system. Growing up, I had always loved how they sounded and was thrilled when he offerred them to me.

Unfortunately, upon bringing them home, it appears I have a dead tweeter in one of the cab's. (I'm a guitar player and the way I'd describe it, the tone is turned all the way to 0 with just a ton of muffled bass and a little bit of mid.) That's likely a dead tweeter, right?

Whily I'm marginally handy, I wouldn't trust myself to do anything major to these speakers and while I initially I'd just replace them with any old tweeter, I stumbled on this forum and this thread in particular and realize that it might be sacrelige to suggest such a thing! ;)

So with that, I have seen lots of references to a shop in Canada (I'm north of Philadelphia in Pennsylvania) that can rebuild tweeters, so my questions are:
1. Who is it? Would anybody be able to kindly provide a link?

2. What is the process for removing the tweeter? I can solder and I'm pretty handy, but for the life of me, these things seem entirely sealed - I took the base plate off using an allen key, but it seems like the whole cab is glued together? Can the tweeters be removed from the front without damaging them further?

3. Would it be advisable to send both tweeters in for service even though the one "sounds" fine at the moment?

4. Any tips on restoring the veneer? If I had to guess (and by looking at other pics on the web) they are cherry veneer (seems more red than the oak pics I've seen.) The tops have a little bit of sun and water damage (I believe a plant sat on top of one for a while!) I'm thinking a very light and gentle sanding might do the trick, though it might be just as well to leave as is.

I'm not an audiophile so sadly a lot of the terms and technical lingo you all use is way beyond me and likely beyond my hearing capability anyway, but the wealth and breadth of knowledge on this site seems limitless.

Many thanks in advance for any tips/tricks/advice on what to do with these Energy's.

hopefully someone with 22's can chime in but i'm guessing the woofer (like most energy's) has a foam ring lightly glued over the screws. a bit of gentle persuasion will lift the foam ring off (at least on the ones i've had). i think the 22's have a foam or felt ring on the tweeter so that may also be covering the tweeter screws. if and when you do get the tweeter out, check to see if there is a bad connection before sending the tweeter out.

and yes, if you are repairing one twenty yr old tweeter it would be best if you did both as the ferrofluid inside dries up or evaporates. that said you know your financial situation best and that can dictate whether you fix both at once or not.

good luck on the restoration
david

David - Thanks so much for your response/help. Sure enough, slowly pulled back the black foam stuff and it revealed 3 screws to remove the tweeter. Both connectors looked OK to me, no obvious wear/tear on the front, I'm guessing they're just tired out. (Looks like 11/19/1986 to me?)

Is this the gentleman that everybody raves about for tweeter rebuilds?
ABI Tech

Looks to be the best game in town, might as well send them both up while I have them apart I'm going to try and do a light refinish on them since they lived their last 15+ years in what is basically a solarium.

Many thanks!
(Pic of what my tweeter looked like with foam removed.)

Attachments

• RefConn22Tweeter.jpg
    RefConn22Tweeter.jpg
    399.9 KB · Views: 300
Cirrus, now that i've looked at that tweeter and wood finish i've changed my mind on your restoration. those are sooo rough and worn out you'd be better off stripping them down for parts. tell you what, i'll take them off your hands and even pay the frieght just because i'm that kind of guy:)

kidding
david

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.