End of DIY :) - HD won't cut MDF

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Geek said:
Or cutting a popular antarsia wood around here, cocobolo!

I never knew the stuff was deadly and always liked the "spicy" smell of its sawdust - then I learned it had its own WHMIS-like safety sheet its dust was so nasty! :hot:

I made an electric guitar with a carve cocobolo top. well not carved actually I bonded a 3/4" thick cocobolo top to the maple body then sanded it to shape with a belt sander, taking it down to 1/4 thick at the edges, no one told me it wa dangerous so I never bothered with a dust mask, agreed it has a nice smell and you have bright orange bogeys for days!!!

I hear tell that a local council was planning to use the dust as the 'protection' (I love that) around the climbing frames in a children's adventure playground. It wasn't until the plans had actually been submitted that some bright spark commented that the chemicals in the material are an irritant, and the dust is a known carcinogen. :rolleyes:

All good fun.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Maybe a tip for others:

I always use a face mask with both VOC (volatile organic compounds) and dust filteration. Actually its intended purpose is for spray painting using cellulose paints but it filters out out many organic compounds including urea formaldehyde :)

So you've got the best of both worlds: dust protection and air borne compound protection.

The mask is a 3M brand but can't remember the model number.

i have used 3m in the past thay work good, i should use this freek out the people next door:D

Attachments

• mvc-895s.jpg
    mvc-895s.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 216
Oops! I am just removing my virtual feet from my virtual mouth now.

I think CCA has been illegal over here for a few years now.

My cousin was working on a new type of impregnation for wood to replace CCA for a company in Tennassee(sp?), but quit when the board couldn't see a market for it (figure that one out).

jackinnj said:
...if you have a question about a product, there's likely to be an "MSDS" on it -- Manufacturer's Safety Data Sheet....

Can't speak for the rest of the world but in Oz anyone selling a product must, by law, be able to supply an MSDS on a given product on request.

I expect many countries would have the same requirements but when you see some of these things I think "ignorance is bliss" may apply ;)

I just came across this thread.

HD never mentioned health risks to me on why they don't cut MDF any more. They told me it wears down their blades too fast. Simply a cost issue of keeping up the band saw.

I hope that it's really the health reason, because when they told me that it wears down their blades too fast I got really pissed.

It's OK Santiu, I just stirred it up a couple of days ago :D

I just went to Lowes, and they had 3/4" MDF, AND they cut it for me. :cheerful: The guy took the time to make it the EXACT width too, although my table saw is usually a little more accurate.

I didn't see Apple ply there though, although the Birch wasn't too bad.

I'm way slow on the rest of the living room though so I don't know when I'll be able to get the speakers made. But at least I have the MDF.

Today I tried shoving two 12ga wires into the backside of the banana plug jacks I prewired. I bi-amped the entire living room - each of the 6.1 jacks has TWO pair of 12ga wires. It turns out I can't shove that much copper into the back of my wall plates though. I guess I'll leave the extra pairs from each speaker plate behind the wall to grab at whenever I DO decide to biamp. Probably never :dead: Well whoever buys the house can sell it to a scrap copper dealer :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.